Be the Change: Breaking the Molds

MikkiB326
Cheerleaders are petite, tan, and blonde. They are stupid, preppy, perfect women. The guys fawn over their appearance, and they radiate confidence. They’re attractive, but there is a better chance that pigs will fly than finding one that can hold an intelligent conversation. They come from rich families and have the nicest clothes; girls everywhere envy their bodies and charisma. If you insult one, you’re sure to regret it; a cheerleader and her friends can make your life a nightmare. A group of cheerleader friends will drink and smoke the night away at the parties they go every weekend. They would never give a smart person the time of day.

This is because intelligent people are nerds. They wear glasses and could use a few helpful hints on how to dress. They may or may not be poor, but it doesn’t matter; they’re going to get a scholarship into the college of their choice either way. While teachers treat them like their pets, the jocks look down upon them. Smart students want to be popular and wish they were good at sports, music, or anything else. These two groups, jocks & cheerleaders and nerds, will never mesh. They are distinct stereotypes that nobody would interfere with. Yet, I’ve broken both of them.

I stand here today, a five-foot-eight-inch tall brunette. My body image is not perfect, and I’m confident only in my dreams. My family is middle-class, and I can assure you people aren’t obsessed with me, my clothes, or my life. I’ve been told that I am one of the sweetest people in my grade and take pride in my good decisions. Whoever said cheerleaders are dumb hasn’t met me. I’ve been captain of my junior high squad and on varsity the two years I've been in high school, yet I am valedictorian of my grade. In a class of 250 students, I’d like to say that’s an accomplishment.
My hope for the New Year is that people realize that stereotypes are a thing of the past. Whether it’s based on gender, religion, race, or high school clique, each person is an individual. I’m happy to be breaking the molds of world-wide stereotypes. I hope others are ready to take a stand and be the change this world needs.