Be The Change: Parents should be better role models

Nelu96
From the day children greet the world, their parents become responsible for them. The parent is like a potter with a new batch of clay. Over time, he or she must mould the clay into a suitable adult. What parents do while their clay is still wet (while their children are still young) will determine the quality of their children’s adult journey.

Among the list of problems yoked upon today’s teenagers we find drug abuse, premarital sex, violence, suicide, low self-esteem and many more. Though many aspects might trigger these problems, I believe parents are the roots of these problems.

Perhaps because of fear, some parents do not inform their children about the dangers that lurk in the outside world. Thus, teenagers become caught in the snares of dangers such as drug and alcohol, because they are not informed of the horrific effects of these substances. They do not know how these traps look like or how to arm themselves against them. Similarly, girls are not taught how to value their bodies and say no to premarital sex. They are not equipped with the fear of teenage pregnancy and the wreckage it can cause. If parents could equip their children with the necessary knowledge, they would make them immune to the world.

In some families, children are taught the only way out of a problem is violence. Parent’s discipline their children by inflicting physical pain upon them. In this way, the children acquire aggressive behavior which they portray to the outside to the outside world. When we see teenagers clutching guns, knives and other weapons, I believe we can rightly compass the cause towards violent parents. Some teenagers inflict pain on their weaker peers to get what they want. Sometimes, when they feel desperate and hopeless, they resolve to violence against themselves.

Many girls have a problem of low self-esteem and I believe parents have a hand in that too. When children are not encouraged to discover their special gifts and talents, it becomes difficult for them to believe they are valuable. For them to keep on believing in their worth, they must be reminded that they is something they excel at. Furthermore, some parents would not hesitate to spew insults and stinging remarks at their children when they are less than impressed about their behavior and this also affects the teenager’s self esteem.

Perhaps it’s not all, but a significant amount of teenager’s problems could be eradicated if parents change their approach towards parenting. Children mirror what they see their parents doing, so parents must take on the challenge to become better role models. It is not adequate to merely impart rules to children. Parents must practice what they preach. Parents must educate themselves about the dangers that lurk in the outside world to be able to impart wisdom to their children. Children also need to be respected.

In 2013, parents must become better role models.