Be the Change: Love thy Family

wchung
A few weeks ago, I received the news that my grandmother was in the hospital (she fell down the stairs). After that moment, I realized that I never quite knew my grandmother and that the last time I saw her or really talked to her was 6 years ago. How could I not know the mother of my mother? How could I have lived through all my 17 years of life without trying at all to get to know someone who had raised me when I was a little child? From that experience, I became aware of how little I knew of my family members other than my mother and father. It was not just my grandmother; it was everyone including all my cousins, uncles, aunts, and grandparents. I just never took the time to get to know them; I just never cared. The change that I must and need to take is simple: get to know my family members better - all of them. But I am not the only one who must go through this change; many other people also neglect and ignore their family members. People choose to take their family members for granted and never appreciate the true value of family. Only when there is a life-threatening situation or a time of trouble do they choose to open their eyes and see. Be true to yourself, when was the last time that you had a nice friendly chat with a family member other than your mother, father, or sibling?

Perhaps if I can enlighten people of the benefits and roles of family members, they will listen and carry out the need to connect. The most obvious and the most important aspect of family is the unrelenting support and love that all family members give you. From your first breath to your last, they are always by your side as kin who share the same rushing blood in your veins, praying and crying for you. Sacrificing their time and money, they are there to make and keep you happy. They are always there, holding your hand and comforting you in times of uncertainty and trouble, through joy and sadness. When you feel down, they are there with a box of chocolates, your favorite kind. They guide you through life with experienced hands, hands that changed your diaper when you were young. Above all, they never judge you for your mistakes and never ask for compensation, just your presence and recognition; they always give you more than you can return.

Why? Why do they do all of this for you? Why do they sacrifice so much for you? Because they are family, they are your family. They will be there until they cannot. And all they ask for is your acknowledgment, your attention. Give it to them before it is too late. In order to start my project of connecting with my family, I call my grandmother every weekend now, just catching up and sending her my love.
Comment by Kwweesten

Hopefully everyone will realize this as well.
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2013 2:34:13 PM
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! Your essay has been chosen as one of seven Runners-Up for the "Be the Change" December writing contest.

Check out the full writing contest summary here: http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensandBodyImage.aspx

We loved reading your essay and look forward to reading your future essays on StageofLife.com. Please continue to write for our contests!

-Nate DeRose
Writing Intern
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 6:40:00 PM