STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Be the Change: Save Lives

Linale91
Once upon a time, there was a world where kindergarten massacres were as inconceivable as flying pigs. I’m sorry to say that we do not live in that world anymore. Perhaps, if we really consider it, we never did. However, those things don’t happen in our society. They just can’t. At least, that’s what we tell ourselves. The truth is bad things can and will happen, wherever you are. The adults think they can prevent this by getting rid of guns and ammunition, but that won’t solve anything. What truly needs to change in our society is shockingly simpler. Don’t believe me? Well, then I encourage you to read on.
To begin, could you imagine your child going to school one day and never coming home again because a murderer was let out of jail? This is only the start of the holes and loopholes that rest in our law. Prisons are filled past capacity, resulting in hundreds of criminals being given a ‘get-out-of-jail-free’ card daily. Mental institutions aren’t much better. They have no room to accept new patients, and most Americans who are mentally ill will go untreated. So, if space is the problem then why can’t we just build more prisons and institutions? Well, our government is in over their heads in debt already. They don’t have the money or time to build more prisons and institutions. Maybe that is a change that needs to be addressed in 2013. Maybe we need to stop using tax money for frivolous matters and use it for something worthwhile… The safety of this generation and the next.
Now, in all honesty, guns aren’t the murders here. It isn’t the gun that kills a person; it’s the person operating the gun that kills a person. We don’t need guns to be eradicated in 2013. Actually, the opposite should be put into play. Instead of confiscating firearms, we should be arming those who have the responsibility to protect their charges. That means teachers, principals, doctors, and many others. Murderers won’t be stopped if we put a ban on weapons; they will find a way to procure them, whether legally or illegally. We can’t prevent the murderer from acquiring a gun, but, with weapons in the right hands, we could save countless lives. Isn’t that our ultimate desire, to save lives that will be lost otherwise?
In conclusion, there are many changes that need to be made in 2013, but I think these two shouldn’t be overlooked. If they are, I fear more massacres will occur like the one in Connecticut. Twenty-seven lives were lost that day, most under the age of seven. Do you want that to be repeated? I hope not. The only way it won’t be is if we learn from past mistakes. We must put money towards the safety of our society and we must allow weapons to be carried. For, if we don’t, we may just find that those 27 lives were only the beginning.
Rate this:
Comment by waterssar

Great job on this essay. I completely agree that guns shouldn't be made illegal- but I don't think that means zero gun control. Did you know that people who have been admitted to mental institutions can legally purchase guns? Nothing wrong with good citizens protecting themselves, but passing legislation could help prevent crazy people from gaining access to them.
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 6:45:13 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy