STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Be the Change: I will help people in my local schools to learn more about health and be aware of cur

semegne
Semegne Minas
Grade 10
December 26th 2012
Word Count: 612
How I can “be the change” in 2013
Like Mahatma Gandhi said “It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver.”
Today, there are many problems regarding health. Over 40 million people live with HIV/AIDS.
Furthermore, many people live on the verge of heart attacks mainly because of the fatty food
substances that we have in our groceries. Unfortunately, these are not the only problems that are
affecting our world;there are many more. According to the UN, every 15 seconds a child dies due to a
water borne disease. In order to hamper and eradicate these issues, it's essential to educate and raise
awareness in our society.
I attend a school called International Community school of Addis Ababa in Ethiopia which is
located in the east of Africa. In contrast to the western world, sub-Saharan countries such as Ethiopia
are unaware of most health problems. Recently, I formed the health awareness club. The sole purpose
of this club is to teach orphans and students with low education from ages of 12 to 17 about health and
ways to halt them by people of their age group. I recently got a suggestion from a representative from
Clark University to make a box for students to enter the questions they're uncomfortable to ask.
Anyways, many of the health topics taught are the negative sides of smoking and alcohol, unprotected
and underage pregnancy, HIV, Malaria, Depression..etc. Furthermore, we'll be touching on a little bit of
psychosomatic diseases. It also explores current data by way of statistics on the effects of such diseases
to youngsters. During the process of teaching, we employ different fun activities that engages students.
Nonetheless, in order to really annihilate these major problems, I would like to make this
project world wide. Primarily because this applies to everyone in the world. When is the last time you
saw a drunk person? Health is a key role in our lives. I want to use this project to emancipate the next
generation from causes of poor health such as addictions, preventable diseases and behavior that
endanger wellness. Despite the incurable diseases and untouchable mysteries, it's possible to stop
health issues. Overall, the health awareness club is open to anyone who is willing to serve youngsters
by educating them in varies ways to help them become healthy and grow into a world that’s
emancipated from different addictions and diseases. So in conclusion, I would like to “be the change”
in 2013 by utilizing the health awareness club to teach our society about health issues that are affecting
our world currently.
Just imagine how the world would change if we have healthy beings. We can conveniently
make this change. Being a sophomore in high school, I have thought about where I would pursue my
future career. It's my life long dream to become a doctor. Once I pursue my carrier and become an
expert at the department of health and medicine, I would like to develop and innovate my project.
Currently, I have a face book page for my project ready for some support and world wide notification.
Furthermore, I have thought of contacting a commuter doctor that works in Madagascar by teaching
about family planning and the use of condoms, contraceptives and other birth control pills. I would also
like to collaborate with a local NGO called JHPIEGO to stay informed and updated.
So I'm ready to take up any challenges to make this change because this is my passion and my
interest. I'm willing to do anything to improve the health of our society. I will utilize God my Savior as
a motivation as well. I will pray for him to give me perseverance and diligence. As for now, I will work
my hardest to internationalize my club. I will “be the change” in 2013. Again like Mahatma Gandhi
said “It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver.”
Rate this:
Comment by Kwweesten

Great idea for a change.
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2013 2:53:07 PM
Rate this:
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! Your essay has been chosen as a Semi-Finalist for the "Be the Change" December writing contest.

Check out the full writing contest summary here: http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensandBodyImage.aspx

We loved reading your essay and look forward to reading your future essays on StageofLife.com. Please continue to write for our contests!

-Nate DeRose
Writing Intern
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 6:54:53 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy