STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Be the Change: The Fight Against Mob Logic, or Being Reasonable

chris.zhang.3551
If I have one complaint about the world as a whole, it is the fact that we tend to not pay attention to the important details and just pick whatever seems popular at the time. People use mob logic not only for consumer products and figures of speech, but also for choices in politics and science; and by mob logic, I mean that they don’t consider the facts at all but go with whatever their friends support. Throughout the political debates, most of my friends (I live in California) supported Obama even though they had no idea what his platform was, instead they copied whatever my one friend who actually paid attention to politics said. Of course, the populace wasn’t the only ones at fault for going with the flow, the pre Republican debates this year was less about their ideas on fixing the country’s problems, and more on accusing Obama of destroying the country. They mainly gained popular support by angrily opposing against things Republicans disliked: Abortion, Gay Marriage, etc., further alienating anyone who wasn’t a Republican, which was a spectacular screw up on their part. If they weren’t so concerned with what their core base thought in those opening debates, it would have definitely lessened the burden on Romney, whose statements during those debates were constantly used against him and contributed to his image as an out of touch aristocrat. In fact, because the nation was rather disappointed in Obama for not doing nearly as much during his term as he claimed he would, the Republicans were in a good position to take control, but their bigoted comments about abortion and gay marriage were justly ridiculed, pushing undecided voters towards Obama. Politics aren’t the only area in which being popular outweighs good judgment, even those close to me generally compare themselves to others in order to feel more secure. My mother almost never cares about my grades unless she asks someone else about their children’s grades, and afterwards becomes incredibly self-conscious about my future, becoming incredibly overbearing for a short period of time until she forgets about the achievements of the other children. My father decided to sign a petition to demand that Piers Morgan be fired for his harsh comments on gun control. As I mentioned earlier, we live in California, and my dad even supports gun control, yet he decided to sign the petition because he, in his own words, “doesn’t like Piers Morgan”. His choice represents how mob logic works, as there were multiple others who signed the petition, my dad felt that he could show how he disliked Morgan despite agreeing with him on gun control simply because he could do so in a large enough anonymous community. Personally, I admit to doing this myself, I have made fun of kids who didn’t do anything to me, in fact, who did me favors such as letting me borrow supplies and money, just because everyone else was. But in the upcoming year, 2013, I will no longer let myself get carried away by mob logic and actually think for myself about whether or not what I am doing is reasonable.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy