Be the Change: Enlighten the World with Art

lookingforanswers
There are few things in the world that are as beautiful as a piece of art created by a swipe of a paintbrush, a tap of a drum, a knead from the hand, a leap onto a stage or a scrawling of words. And for many years, I considered myself an onlooker while other people created these magical pieces of art. I spent many nights bobbing my head to the melody of someone else's voice or admiring drawings made by someone else's hand. But when I strung my own violin, Beethoven rolled over in his grave. When I picked up a sketch pencil, Picasso shielded his eyes. I accepted that that being a supporter was my role in the art world.

So what has changed this year? Not my talents, that's for sure. I still don't sound like Paganini or paint like Da Vinci. But I realize that there is no flawless art (maybe some are just less universally desirable than others), and yet, every piece of art is perfect when someone enjoys it. This message is the heart of the facebook group Art Abandonment. Each member of the group creates a special piece of art and leaves it in a random place for a stranger to find and enjoy. A small gifted art piece can be as simple as a rock with an inspiring word or a bookmark. And though these pieces are not Louvre-worthy, they’re in a league of their own because of the passion of the people who make them and the reactions of the people who stumble upon these small treasures. A difficult day is made a little brighter, and a frown is turned into a smile; at least, that was my reaction when I stumbled on a piece of abandoned art.

So to make a change in the new year, I will no longer take on the role of the bystander in the art world just because I believe that my art is “not good enough”. Art doesn't have to be just the perfect picture or the perfect loaf of bread or even the perfect song. Art encapsulates the human spirit in its best form. Contrary to the cynics’ popular belief, the world is not an entirely corrupt place; Art Abandonment has shown me that there are people who care. And though our world is not perfect, it can only be made better by those who believe that there is some inherent good within people. And that is who I strive to be. Through the gift of art, I will show that there are inherently good people who care for others. I will enlighten the Earth with art.
Comment by Kwweesten

What a great idea! It would definitely boost my mood to run across this.
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2013 1:53:20 PM
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! Your essay has been chosen as a Semi-Finalist for the "Be the Change" December writing contest.

Check out the full writing contest summary here: http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensandBodyImage.aspx

We loved reading your essay and look forward to reading your future essays on StageofLife.com. Please continue to write for our contests!

-Nate DeRose
Writing Intern
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 6:49:37 PM