Be the Change: For a More Moral World

Belest
The world is brutally flawed, so much so that no amount of governmental policies and non-profit activity will fix all that is wrong. The simple fact is that current actions look only towards alleviating the symptoms and not curing the root problems. The only way that the world’s troubles can be solved, is if morality is integrated into the fabric of all societies and persons. On a basic level, the justification is that morality is by its very definition incompatible with evil. If problems did come about, individuals would band together to help their fellow man to end suffering.

The adoption of a moral framework as a guiding force in life would result in a nation nearly free of intentional crime. Alan Gewirth, a former philosophy professor, defined morality as “acting in accord with the generic rights of your recipients as well as yourself.” If such a moral code was acted upon by all individuals in a society, then no person would intentionally harm another. This is self-evident because it is impossible to simultaneously respect a right while also violating it, meaning that crimes such as theft, assault, and murder would cease to be problems facing societies. The benefits possible within the United States alone are massive: 10,639,000 crimes including 15,500 murders were committed in the United States in 2009 according to the United States Census Bureau. If morality was acting as the guiding force of individuals, then the vast majority of those crimes would never have been committed and suffering on an immense scale would have been prevented. No single change in the world could do more to prevent wrongs, but morality also serves to solve those problems that would still persist.

Not all problems arise because of immoral action, some, such as poverty and disease, persist from their own accord. A moral world, however, would create an environment where such problems would be solved through global cooperation. Philosopher Peter Singer writes that the obligation to assist is an integral part in morality, one that must be acted upon if an individual is to view himself as moral. Therefore, in a moral world, problems such as those previously mentioned would be an affront to all individuals, thereby resulting in a global force dedicated to solving problems and assisting those who suffer. With the combined resources and expertise of the world’s seven billion inhabitants, even the most pressing problem could be resolved.

While it’s obvious that a world that is moral in its very foundation is ideal at best, it is still the change that must come about if a world devoid of problems is ever to be achieved. What must be emphasized however is that merely the pursuit of such a world is enough to yield tangible benefits. When citizens and state both view themselves as moral actors, a decrease in domestic harms and an increase in international cooperation are sure to come about, therefore, let 2013 be the beginning of a transition to a truly moral world.