Be the Change: Taking a better look at the mirror's reflection

MidnightSunset
Many people before have asked me how I will change, and how I can change the world. I could never answer, but now I know it can be said in a simple phrase: Look at the world as if it is a mirror. Unfortunately, for some people in the world, they are the most important people in their lives. For a while, I was one of them, going about my life as if it was my own movie, with me being the main role, and anyone else-parents, teachers, friends,-were the extras. A fated event happened when I turned on the radio. The song playing was “Man in the Mirror,” By the late Michael Jackson. The words reverberated in my head hours later, and it soon became the soundtrack of my actions. “I'm Gonna Make A Change, For Once In My Life It's Gonna Feel Real Good, Gonna Make A Difference Gonna Make It Right.”It was only then I had a culture shock of my own and instead of staring at the TV screen, I looked outside at my world. My sheltered world only isolated me from my community, and its problems. Instead of looking away, I looked forward. I knew change had to happen, no matter how long or hard it would be. If we all take a look at ourselves in the mirror, would we like how we see ourselves? I have always been one to base how I looked in a mirror off body image, and never having enough self-esteem to think differently. Now, as I change, and how I perceive things change, I know that there are different ways to look at one’s self: Physically, and spiritually. One day, I finally faced my insecurities and took a peek. I couldn’t believe the person I saw. I had surrounded myself in an aura of fake happiness and security, and left the others behind, a faded background of my stage. I suddenly had an idea on how to start. In 2013, I’m deciding to treat others as if they were the reflection in the mirror, and treat my own reflection differently. Beauty isn’t only the face, but the heart. Putting yourself first never gets you anywhere, and our community-the Global community, that is- thrives on the few that work for millions. Instead of pointing at myself, with “me” being my ideology, I will start to view that image looking back at me differently. After all if I can see others, and myself, a different way, how can I not change? So now, instead of looking at others for the change, I look at myself. Instead of looking at the one finger I point at others, I look at the three I point back at myself. Change doesn’t always start big, but the chain reaction it causes is huge. But I think Michael Jackson said it in the best way possible. “If You Wanna Make The World A Better Place Take A Look At Yourself And Then Make The Change”