The Meaning of Cookies

Papples
This post would be my first as a featured writer of Stage of Life. I was thinking about what to write for a long time, but couldn't really think of a great topic. A few days ago, a friend of mine dropped a cookie off in my locker. It wasn't that big of a deal: it was just a cookie someone bought from the school cafeteria. But to me, it felt like the beginning of a story.

I'm a huge fan of cookies: sugar cookies, chocolate chip, Oreos (they are their own brand of cookies); I even like to eat raisin cookies from time to time. In fact, when I need a quick present for a friend, I almost always get him or her a cookie. I mean, who doesn't like cookies? There's even the iconic character of the Cookie Monster to reinforce my point.

However, I've been thinking a lot about what cookies really mean to me aside from a food I eat more than I should. When I was young, I used to send my friends cookies whenever I was in a good mood. I thought I was just being a nice guy, and my friends appreciated the free food (who doesn't?). As I got older, I started eating healthier, and thus cookies became a luxury. Also, the cafeteria stopped selling cookies in bags.

Then, my friend had a rough day. I was never good at talking about feelings or having heart-to-heart discussions. Instead, I bought him a cookie, and gave it to him with a nice "Hope you feel better" note. Later, I got a thank you text saying that while he wasn't 100% better, the cookie "helped".

Later, I had my own tough time. Guess what happened? I found a cookie in my locker. It was a small gesture, and it certainly didn't solve my problem. But it was an important gesture because I knew I had someone who was looking out for me. Plus it tasted good. Cookies are just small symbols that tell me: "Everything is going to be alright".

I'm a person who often panics, and having that small reminder goes a long way to keeping me calm. We all need the small memos that things will sort themselves out if we stay calm and don't freak out. If we get too stressed, we waste time and we can't operate at our full potential. Also, we get too wrapped up in our own issues, that we sometimes ignore our friends and family. Even the most confident people could use some nice snacks to remind them that all is not lost.

My math teacher told me that my homework over this break was to relax. I'm eating some cookies right now, and I couldn't be calmer. I strongly encourage you to do the same. If you're not the biggest fan of cookies, find some other way of reminding yourself and others that things will work out. I'm telling you now that if you don't get too absorbed in your mistakes or growing problems, you can find a solution.

Happy Holidays! And if you celebrate Christmas, leave some cookies out for Santa.

What a great story! It has prompted me to get up and get...a cookie! I too have always found great satisfaction in, the cookie'! As a goodwill gift...priceless! Welcome, as a featured writer!

Greg Phillips
Editor, Stage Of Life
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2012 6:34:59 AM
Comment by Julie

I think we all could use some cookies.
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2013 11:38:26 PM
Comment by fduty

Very nice! I have long been a believer that a chocolate cake or a plate of brownies can open doors that have long been closed. Who can resist a freshly iced chocolate cake, regardless of what silly grudges they may hold or which of life's many challenges may lay in their path.

Thanks for the cookie reminder. I like mine with nuts!
Posted: Sunday, May 5, 2013 7:10:22 PM