STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Be the change: I will raise awareness on self-injury in teens, why they do it, and how to help them.

strawberrygrl1999
Across America, teens are deliberately hurting themselves. Not necessarily to kill, but to inflict pain. Whether they’re upset by their weight, how they look, their situation at home, they’re being bullied, they’re doing drugs, and many more reasons; teens across America are not in a good place.
I think that we need to raise awareness on this situation. Many people probably don’t even realize that their best friend, their sibling, or their own child spends their days with severe depression. Even if they don’t know someone who harms him or herself, there is a very good chance they’ll know someone soon because of the increasing rate of teens across America who DO hurt themselves intentionally.
I will be the change in 2013 because I will help raise awareness on this situation. I think we need to drop the increasing rates and let kids know that they’re not alone, that they should step out from the shadows and get help. If we let people know what is going on, they can help. Since self-harm is done in private, it often goes undetected or is explained as being accidental. People will pay more attention to their friend, daughter, etc. if they know that there is a chance that they could be harming themselves. If they do learn that they know someone who is, then they will try and get that person help.
Individuals who self-harm themselves do not usually want to kill themselves. Instead they use a razor because it relieves tension from their mind, or it’s a form of punishing themselves for being fat, ugly, etc. While a teen may begin by cutting himself once, it can quickly lead to an addiction.
I will help to encourage these teens to get help. I will also encourage parents and friends to be on the lookout for any unusual behavior from someone they know. If they know that they should calmly approach the specified person, that they should be friendly and not judgmental, and that they should go to someone to seek help for this person; then I believe our nation’s number of self-harmers will drastically go down.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy