Be the change: I will raise awareness on self-injury in teens, why they do it, and how to help them.

strawberrygrl1999
Across America, teens are deliberately hurting themselves. Not necessarily to kill, but to inflict pain. Whether they’re upset by their weight, how they look, their situation at home, they’re being bullied, they’re doing drugs, and many more reasons; teens across America are not in a good place.
I think that we need to raise awareness on this situation. Many people probably don’t even realize that their best friend, their sibling, or their own child spends their days with severe depression. Even if they don’t know someone who harms him or herself, there is a very good chance they’ll know someone soon because of the increasing rate of teens across America who DO hurt themselves intentionally.
I will be the change in 2013 because I will help raise awareness on this situation. I think we need to drop the increasing rates and let kids know that they’re not alone, that they should step out from the shadows and get help. If we let people know what is going on, they can help. Since self-harm is done in private, it often goes undetected or is explained as being accidental. People will pay more attention to their friend, daughter, etc. if they know that there is a chance that they could be harming themselves. If they do learn that they know someone who is, then they will try and get that person help.
Individuals who self-harm themselves do not usually want to kill themselves. Instead they use a razor because it relieves tension from their mind, or it’s a form of punishing themselves for being fat, ugly, etc. While a teen may begin by cutting himself once, it can quickly lead to an addiction.
I will help to encourage these teens to get help. I will also encourage parents and friends to be on the lookout for any unusual behavior from someone they know. If they know that they should calmly approach the specified person, that they should be friendly and not judgmental, and that they should go to someone to seek help for this person; then I believe our nation’s number of self-harmers will drastically go down.