Be The Change: By being a nice person

Christisump
I have always been the nice girl in school. People in my class would run up to me and say “Hey, can I please borrow a pencil from you”? I usually will respond by looking through my purse or replying with a yes. Some people take this as a HUGE act of kindness. Some people have told me they love me and some people have even hugged me over such a small deed. I just shrug my shoulders and laugh as I watch them walk away. Being nice isn't about buying someone something really expensive on their birthday. Being nice is about genuinely caring for someone.
It’s not about how much you give them; it’s just the fact that you would help them. Sometimes I don’t have a pencil to spare, and I usually know when I don’t. But, often times I will search the inner bowels of my purse and binders for a pencil that I had forgotten about. When I turn up with nothing, most people still thank me for at least trying to help them. They can see that I had good intentions.
In elementary school and middle school I was a more reserved person. I wasn't necessarily shy, but I struggled holding a conversation with people, and sometimes I really didn't want to talk to people. This usually resulted in me having minimal friends. Fellow piers of mine would try and hold a conversation with me, but I would often have nothing to say and just nod my head or occasionally giggle at things they had to say. Some people really pitied me and would ask for me to join them at lunch or sit near them in class. But, the most persistent of people are the ones that truly got me to open up. Once I did they were amazed at how I took off from there.
But, a lot of my friends really don’t know how much they truly have helped me to be the person I am today. They have inspired me to get to know new people, and to make friends with people who were like me when I was younger. Then they can break out of their shell and help people who were like them. It becomes somewhat of a chain reaction. Most people that I have known since elementary school and middle school will tell my new friends in high school about how reserved I was when they first met me. Most of my friends in high school can’t imagine me any other way, then the way that I am now. I enjoy making people laugh and I love to laugh along with them.
I also use humor as a form of kindness. Whenever I see a friend that seems a little down in the dumps, I will try to make them laugh as a sign that I do care about them. Nothing feels better than looking into someone’s eyes and seeing that your small deed of kindness has really made their day.