Be the Change: I Will Carry Others

Inspired
I am afraid of that which is not perfect.

I see imperfection, and I want to paint it over, whorls and clouds of color creating a work of art, hues making an abstract image, something surreal in its beauty, its perfection.

I got excited when I saw this topic. There are so many things I see every day that I would like to improve, to change. The list of things I want to change is endless; from education policies to bullying to self-image, we live in a world of imperfection, and I would like to change that.

That’s when I realized that I am not perfect, either. I can be stubborn and cynical, angry and hurtful.

It’s human.

But what I have gradually begun to understand is that before I improve the world, I have to improve myself.

What I’ve realized is that although I have ambitions about the future in aspect to occupation, grades, and schools, I have none regarding improving myself personally – on how I intend to interact with peers and family, on self-consciousness, and on how I want to do more good for people.

So this is my goal this year, this is how I want to change the world.

It sounds so small. It’s nothing, compared to improving the education system, or helping to cure disease, or even helping victims of natural disasters.

This is the way that I will improve this world, though. If every person could do that, you know, we’d live in a better world. So while it’s small, and nothing like the essays I know I’ll read, this is my personal promise: I will be a better person. I will help others realize their self-worth, and their importance.

I will smile at them, and talk with them, and wipe their tears. I will hug them, and laugh with them, and walk next to them.

I will forget imperfections, inconsistencies; stop painting and repainting. I will look at the blemishes, and see their beauty, and their absolute necessity to the painting.

This is how I will change the world.

As humans, we don't just want to be held. We want to be carried.

But we’re too heavy.

I won’t just hold myself, or hold others.

I’ll help carry them.
Comment by Kwweesten

I agree with your story, everyone needs a little help from time to time.
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2013 1:49:21 PM
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! Your essay has been chosen as a Semi-Finalist for the "Be the Change" December writing contest.

Check out the full writing contest summary here: http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensandBodyImage.aspx

We loved reading your essay and look forward to reading your future essays on StageofLife.com. Please continue to write for our contests!

-Nate DeRose
Writing Intern
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 6:49:04 PM