Be the Change: Giving Simply Isn't Helping

Mikki_Davis
The clock strikes 12 on the brisk morning of January 1st 2013. Millions of people are clinking glasses and yelling “cheers” so loud that the people in surrounding buildings can hear them. Another year has come and gone here on planet Earth and we’ve all lived to see it. Some of us find ourselves dwelling on the losses of 2012, thinking of loved ones that have passed and missed opportunities. Others of us may be having the time of our lives, drinking, laughing and dancing around. There may even be people out there doing both of those things. Tonight, though, I find myself sitting and pondering what surprises 2013 will bring me, and the rest of the world. I suppose 2012 was kind to me, but I’m hoping for more in this new year. Being young and wild, I will always hope for adventure and excitement, while my parents hope for good grades and for me to come home safe everyday from school. Underneath all that though, I more than hope for a change of mind and heart in the entire world. In my lifetime, I want to see people’s attitudes change and the world to become a kinder and more accepting place. This sounds a lot like a cry for world peace but I promise that, despite my pacifist beliefs, I am not naïve enough to believe in world peace. What I want to see in 2013 are the people of the world doing more than writing checks to charities and forgetting about it. I want to see people come off their high horses and become the kind of help that the poverty-stricken people of this world need. I want to see my generation become the generation of change and selflessness rather than the generation of iPhones and “I want more”. One of the biggest problems I see with the society of today is our ability to give and not help. We give our old shoes, eyeglasses, toys, clothes and a beaucoup of other things we no longer need. While these gifts may help the poor and starving for a short time, they do not get these people out of their unimaginable situations. Giving simply is not helping. This world needs people who see the things that the poor need that go beyond food, clothes and a warm bed. We need people who can step down from their privileged lives and pull the unfortunate out of their disparity. That is what I want to see the people of my world and my generation do in 2013. We are the caretakers of the world and each other, and I would like to see people living out this duty with honor and respect for those who need help. It is simply not enough to give, the world needs more than gifts, we need change. 2013 can be the year of immense change in the world, but it is up to us to make this new year different than the last.

Comment by rxing963

I agree! Except you used disparity incorrectly
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2012 10:52:42 PM
Comment by Kwweesten

Our society is very guilty when it comes to giving with their eyes closed, I agree with you.
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2013 2:48:32 PM
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! Your essay has been chosen as a Semi-Finalist for the "Be the Change" December writing contest.

Check out the full writing contest summary here: http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensandBodyImage.aspx

We loved reading your essay and look forward to reading your future essays on StageofLife.com. Please continue to write for our contests!

-Nate DeRose
Writing Intern
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 6:54:15 PM