STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Be The Change: I will be respected by boys

EmilyWatson10250
Be The Change: I will be respected by boys
I have recently been asked to send a boy I texted as a friend topless pictures. I was flattered, at first, but then I started to feel angry, worthless, and disgusting. I did not send a picture by any means, nor will I ever. I didn’t quite know what to say, or how to say it, but I knew that sending a picture would negatively effect me. Something I always do when I am in these types of situations is say “What would 30 year old me say,” because inevitably I will have to face the mistakes that I make. I thought about how I might be happily married with children, and that we are really struggling paying the bills. I then thought about how I might be offered the job of a lifetime, and that this job would more than pay my bills. Then, I realized that pictures or text messages, or pretty much anything online is permanent, it can never be completely erased. Then I imagined my possible employer finding this picture. Not only did I not get the job, I let my family down; for what, some teenage boy trying to take advantage of my youth.
I should have given this boy a long speech about how I am not a number, that I am to be respected and loved, but most importantly that I care about myself way to much to exploit my body. I instead just said no, and that I was uncomfortable with his proposition. That is when I made a mistake, because now, he thinks that he can help me become comfortable by manipulating me saying, “You should not be uncomfortable with yourself, you are very a very beautiful women.” I realized then and there that women make their own decisions, and that this was more than manipulation, it was highly sophisticated manipulation. I was dealing with a straight up player.
There are two pregnant freshmen in my class, and I personally talked to them. They told me, that they were tricked, and taken advantage of in the same ways that I was. They told me that I was very smart to say no, and that I was right in ever way to want respect. People now are always in love with the first male or female to show them even the slightest amount of attention.
So all you girls or women out there who might be reading this, think about what I have said. You are right in every way to want respect and love, don’t settle for second best. Watch out for those manipulators, they can trick you. What will you say about yourself when you are 30? Demand every quality in a man that you want, and know that someone who wants to be with you will do anything to meet your qualifications, but you have to be patient. My boy was a player, but I quit the game.
Rate this:
Comment by Kwweesten

You have an excellent way of looking at this situation. God knows I wouldn't want to face those pictures when I'm 30.
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2013 1:46:21 PM
Rate this:
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! Your essay has been chosen as one of seven Runners-Up for the "Be the Change" December writing contest.

Check out the full writing contest summary here: http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensandBodyImage.aspx

We loved reading your essay and look forward to reading your future essays on StageofLife.com. Please continue to write for our contests!

-Nate DeRose
Writing Intern
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 6:37:57 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy