Be the Change: Time for Change

kittybutts
Throughout history and culture, there are cycles of human hierarchy. As discussed in George Orwell’s 1984, it always goes the same way: eventually, the middle class will become envious of the ruling class. So they enlist the help of the lower, peasant class, promise them equality, and revolt against the higher-ups. The end result is the middle class moves up, the ruling class moves down, and the lowest class stays exactly where they’ve been forever; in ignorance and poverty. Recently, the divide between the classes has become extremely apparent, and in order to progress, people have to make a distinct effort to decrease the divide between us all.
We live in a world where there is an elite class that only includes 1% of the population. They have control of over half the wealth of the U.S., among other things. These are our wealthy business owners and politicians. The ones who crush competition, exploit cheap labor, start wars for profit, pump the environment full of pollutants, and market directly to the consumer through the television. Is this something that the founders of our nation would have condoned?
Martin Luther King Jr. once said, “The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people.” The principals of civil disobedience shared by great thinkers like Thoreau, Gandhi, King, and even Jesus Christ are regarded as heroic, but no one seems bold enough today to take a stand against injustice. People all over the world are too afraid to stand up as a whole against inequality, sickness, wars, and famine. They’re too afraid because they’ve been conditioned by society to believe the way they’re living is upright. They’ve been taught that speaking out is wrong or unpatriotic.
What I am proposing is that the people of this planet, not just the small percentage of the wealthy, come together and take the power back. In 2013, we MUST let go of our self-fulfilling ways, and realize we are one race and one consciousness. We must take a stand and refuse to be pawns in an elaborate game of chess played by the upper class. We must learn to accept one another and live in harmony.