STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Be the change: From Obesity to Self Destruction; it has to change.

student1
Be the change: From Obesity to Self Destruction; it has to change.

I hear the term “Body Image”; obesity is the first thing that pops into my mind. Then I think self destruction.

In 2009 there was a girl in my school in foster care who struggled with obesity. She weighed in at 311 lbs.

She was ridiculed on a daily basis. Her classmates made hurtful comments and played mean jokes on her. One time they taped a sign to her back that said, “Feed me. I’m hungry.” In her gym class the “skinny” girls would make cruel comments, like asking her if they could borrow her fat for the winter, promising to return it at the first sign of spring, though she didn’t need it.

This girl began to be traumatized. She was constantly put on a pedestal of public humiliation. Lunch breaks were spent throwing up and crying. She would eat her lunch and then throw it up. Her lunch break buddy became the toilet. She was hurt and alone. The girl never spoke up about the bullying. She was passive. She hid her hurt and pain. She didn’t dare let anyone suspect she was sad and that she was hurting. This bullying, or rather emotional abuse went on for quite some time. She kept quiet until one day it went too far. Way too far.

One day at lunch, she was sitting in her usual spot in the lunch room, alone like always. She had just sat down and was in the process of opening her milk when the basketball team walked in. It wasn’t unusual that they all had bags of cookies in their hands, due to the fact that the school was trying to raise money for the Snowball Dance. The players, one by one, starting with the captain, began to set the cookies in front of her. They began to make comments like, ‘Here fatty”, “Eat up”, and “You know you want them”. Tears began to slide down her flushed face and the players laughed. She threw the cookies at the captain’s face and ran to the bathroom where she remained for the rest of the day. She once again forced herself to throw up, but all she had in her system was milk. When the girl got home she ran straight to her room. This girl cut, and cut, and cut. She was so shaken by this nasty bullying that she didn’t know what else to do. She was broken and hurt. She is me.

What can I do to change how girls view their body images? I have a strong belief that people in the community need to change how they view body images. I believe that if people didn’t tease and taunt about body images that a lot of girls wouldn’t be so focused on whether they’re “skinny” enough for the standards that people in society have set. I want to make that clear to the community. How I plan to do that is to share the story I just shared. My story.
Rate this:
Comment by Kwweesten

Very touching.
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2013 2:50:48 PM
Rate this:
Comment by DarkStar49

It brought tears to this mans eyes. Dare them to taunt me! You know, you are amazing! What you have inside is something these ass...er, uh...inconsiderate shallow individuals could never have. Courage, heart and soul. And that matters far more than being skinny, dolled up, a big sporto or any of the other things these people really believe that they are! And, truth is...they aren't! They are strugglng through their own lives doing the best they can, fooling themselves by feeling good picking on you. There are a lot of good kids and young adults in the world....you are one of them!! Great essay! I dont know you....but I know...and I'm proud of you!
-Greg Phillips
Editor, Stage Of Life
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2013 6:01:39 AM
Rate this:
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You have been chosen as our 1st Place winner for the "Be the Change" December writing contest. We will be contacting you shortly via your provided email address with prize information.

Check out the full writing contest summary here: http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensandBodyImage.aspx

We loved reading your essay and look forward to reading your future essays on StageofLife.com. Please continue to write for our contests!

-Nate DeRose
Writing Intern
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 6:32:03 PM
Rate this:
Comment by SOFLarchive

I am so sorry of what you went through. Those kids were so cruel. Everybody looks great no matter what they weigh. Your essay is written well. Congrats on winning the contest.
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:24:11 PM
Rate this:
Comment by student1

I would just like to say thank you. I am very honored to have recieved first place. I have been writing since I was 9 years old and am very passionate about it. I have had alot of doubts about my writing but the fact that I won this makes me want to keep picking up my pen. In 2009 I was 15 years old and 311 pounds in 2013 I am 19 and 182 pounds. Since August 10 of 2011 I have lost 104 pounds and feel great and am a lot more confident. I plan to reach out to teens who struggle with eating disorders and low self esteem as to I have a story and I feel that it will help others. So thanks again. I am looking forward to keep writing for stage of life and for my own personal benifit.
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2013 1:42:24 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy