Be the Change: Teachers Count Too!

rportenti
Teachers in my community are experiencing an issue with their contracts. The current contract issue is that there are no contracts. Although the economy seems to have almost repaired itself fully, money still poses as an issue for my community. Every year my school celebrates spirit week. This year, the theme was superheroes. Everybody dressed up as his or her favorite hero and in some way we celebrated those heroes. When I first heard about the contract issue, I immediately knew that I wanted to help. However, I feared that the voice of one, shy student would not benefit teachers. I then decided to get the word out to the student body.

Since our theme for spirit week was superheroes, I thought it would be nice to write about the heroes in our own school—teachers. Just a simple paragraph from different students could be effective when presented to the board of education. I used my position as board of education representative to spread the word. I went from homeroom to homeroom telling other students about the cause. I told them about the injustice occurring and how teachers are not receiving what they deserve. Each day, more and more students seemed to be on board with the idea. I told those that wanted to come to tell their friends and to spread the word even more. I was faced with skeptics, but I convinced even them to come. Teachers do so much for students and we never really repay them; this would be one of the few opportunities to give back for all they do for us. When the event occurred, I was surprised with the turn out. So many people showed up that the meeting had to be relocated to our larger auditorium. After everyone settled down, I was the first to speak. My friends and I were getting nervous, but I reminded them that it was for a good cause. One by one, students followed me in speaking about how their favorite teacher is their hero. Other teachers spoke and some even spoke about their heroes. Throughout the duration of the meeting, the faces of the board members seemed very unmoved and unimpressed. I felt as if all of my hard work had gone to waste. At the end of the meeting, one board member claimed that he had “learned nothing “ that night. I was heartbroken, but I understood. The board told us that the issue is not the quality of the teachers, but the lack of money.

In 2013, I will push for a solution to the problem of insufficient funds in my community. Although the board members claimed there was nothing that can be done, I will keep fighting. I will be persistent in my cause. It is important to remember that fair is fair and just because the economy is tough does not mean teachers have to suffer. I hope to see teachers with contracts in 2013 and in this way “be the change.”
Comment by Kwweesten

That's a great idea!
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2013 10:07:03 PM
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! Your essay has been chosen as a Semi-Finalist for the "Be the Change" December writing contest.

Check out the full writing contest summary here: http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensandBodyImage.aspx

We loved reading your essay and look forward to reading your future essays on StageofLife.com. Please continue to write for our contests!

-Nate DeRose
Writing Intern
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 6:56:41 PM