Be the Change: The Golden Rule

jozieg
“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” Starting from the time I was in Kindergarten I have been told by adults to follow the Golden Rule. A question I always asked myself was, “why should I listen to them if they don’t follow it?” I believe that if everyone, starting in 2013, truly followed the Golden Rule then the world would be a better place.
This is as true as in high school as it is in the real world. People are always doing things to hurt or belittle others for personal gain. As a senior in high school, I see this happening in a day more than I can count. I do not know why some students feel the need to make others feel deficiently about themselves, when they themself know how grueling it is to be a teenager. I do not think some people realize what they say or do can do so much damage until it is too late. I have seen this tear people up physically and emotionally. Just think what the world would be like if everyone thought of the Golden Rule before they acted.
If everyone in the world treated each other like they would want to be treated then this world would be a more peaceful and happier place. When someone gives me a compliment I can remember it for usually the rest of the day, but when someone makes a rude remark regarding me I remember for a very long time. A person can only handle so much tormenting and bullying until they finally crack. I have heard way too many stories about school shootings, and the shooter being a kid that was harassed and beleaguered by other students in the school. These stories are distressing, but this is a reality for a number of people. If these torments and actions were replaced with compliments, the people in this world would be happier and everyone would get along with one another better.
The way I see it is a compliment is easier to give than a put down. Giving a person a compliment gives you the satisfaction of making someone else’s day better rather than making it worse. I know that when a person compliments my hair or clothes I automatically feel more confident about myself and I hold my head a little higher. If everyone could try and give compliments to others or do things that they would want done to them then the world would benefit from those acts of kindness.
I am not going to lie and say that I have never said or done anything to hurt another person, because I have. Which is why I propose that everyone, including myself, try and make a change to follow the Golden Rule for the upcoming year. Someone once told me that everything you need to know, you learned in kindergarten. The Golden Rule is among one of those things we need to know and need to follow.