Be the Change - Take a Break

austinh
This has been a tumultuous year; it has been stressful, busy, and somehow, still I have found time to enjoy myself a little. Everyday is a grind, and I have learned to live for the little pleasures, because many of my old pleasures have been lost to the wind. Instead of sitting down every evening and reading about history, or playing xbox for several hours, or having lengthy discussions with my friends about everything, now it’s become too-short moments with my girlfriend, 15 minute breathers at my favorite coffee shop after school and work, long cruises at night just to clear my head, and seven golden hours of sleep. This year, I want my change to be a break.
A friend once told me that I need to slow down or I will just burn myself out like a bulb. He used himself as an example, and cited his brief time at a Catholic Seminary, and then picking up the pieces back home in Wichita. Truth be told, he’s right; all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. Life would be paradise if I had more time for my friends, for travel, for my wonderful girlfriend, and for picking up old hobbies to share with all of them. There’s a week remaining until school is out until Janurary, and this essay is my final assignment. Before I started writing this I was trying to extrude some essay about what’s wrong with the world, and by the second paragraph it did not even make sense. It was a tired rant that I did not even truly believe myself. I’m going to sleep 30 minutes later, crash 30 minutes sooner, get my xbox fixed, go out of town and see my friends, and bring my lady. Homework is going to be tamed. School should not follow a poor kid home, 8 hours of the grind is hard enough, we should get a chance to enjoy our adolescence. Above all else though, for 20 minutes every evening I will just relax in quiet, and meditate and reflect.
This is my only goal, my lone New Year’s Resolution: I will take time to just chill out and take a break. For the sake of health, for others, and for myself, it is necessary. I offer the same advice to everyone; naps are a very good thing, so are “me-days.” Now get out of here and go relax!