Be the Change: Habitat Creation

Eugene
The population of upland game birds, such as quail and pheasant, have appeared to be on the decline in southeast Kansas for the past few years. This decline has been caused by an increase in predators of the birds. Also these birds natural habitat has been destroyed by several different things. The population of quail and pheasant need to increase in order to insure that they do not become endangered and eventually become extinct. People need to step in and help create more habitat that gives them better protection from the predators that are depleting their population.
The development of the land that humans constantly continue to do seems to reduce the habitat of the game birds. Housing and town development play a large part in the reduction of habitat. When construction takes place the grass and brush the birds live in is destroyed and then once built the birds will not stay around because of human interaction. If the birds cannot find anywhere to go then they eventually die off. Some land development with farming will also ruin the birds’ habitat. If land that was once native grasses and brush is tilled up to farm, the game birds will no longer have protection and a place to stay. Housing development is not a terrible thing, but it needs to be done in a more responsible way. Also, farming is a necessity, due to the increasing human population. The world could not operate without agriculture. The development of the land does not need to be stopped but instead the way of doing it is what needs to be changed in 2013.
In 2013 humans need take more responsibility for what they have done to the population of upland game birds. They may say that the predators are doing it to the birds’ population, but if humans were not destroying their habitat then the birds would have protection from the predators. Land that humans have no use for after development, should be turned into habitat for the birds. By taking unusable land and planting native grasses on it the birds will have protection from the predators. If it is done right a small bit of land that is transformed into habitat could potentially hold just as many birds as a larger piece that is not as ideal for upland game birds. By creating habitat for the birds their population should increase drastically. One other thing that could be done along with this is reducing the predator population to a more manageable size. Some action must be taken to protect the population of quail and pheasant or they could possibly become endangered here in the very near future.