Be the Change: Roller Coaster of Life

AshlenS
Roller Coaster of Life
Life is unpredictable. It is the longest roller coaster ride with more ups and downs than your stomach can probably handle. It is one of those really scary rides that go forward and backward, upside down and in circles. The only difference between life and this metaphor, is at the end of a real roller coaster, many people feel sick. However, the precious thing about life is when it’s all coming to an end, if lived properly, it can be the most rewarding ride you’ll never get to experience again. Because life is something we are only given one chance at, it is imperative we do not take even just one day for granted. Tomorrow is never promised to anyone, and for that reason I want to dedicate the year of 2013 to living a life I won’t feel the need to redo when it’s all said and done.
To truly be able to say you have lived is to have made a few mistakes. Living is about acting like a child even when you’re supposed to be an adult. It’s about being a little rebellious, having a little fun, and taking a few chances. Life is about falling in love, and getting hurt. It’s about finding the courage within yourself to move on and wear your heart of your sleeve again. Life can be hard, which is why it’s okay to cry every now and then. It is about letting loose every once in a while and doing something you would not normally do. It’s about spending time with your friends and your family and realizing the difference between what you want and what you deserve. Life is about doing nice things for others in order to make their lives a little bit easier. It’s about finding something you’re passionate about and doing it every chance you get. Life is about loving yourself. It’s about chasing your dreams and helping others to chase theirs as well. Life is fifty percent what you can do for yourself, and fifty percent what you can do for others.
In 2013 I want to start living my life as if it is a roller coaster. I want to get my shirt a little wet from the teardrops of a friend in need of a shoulder to cry on. I want to find something I am passionate about and do it every day. I want to spend time with my family who I need to express my feelings to more and I want to apologize to anyone who I have ever hurt. I want to love my enemies as much as I love my friends and help others to chase their dreams. I want to change someone’s life for the better, because so many people have changed mine. 2013 is a year I want to be able to look myself in the mirror and know I’m living a life I will die proud of. I want to feel a sense of pleasure in my stomach when I am through riding the roller coaster, not pain.
Comment by Kwweesten

This is a good outlook for the new year, I think everyone should pay it forward, like you are.
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2013 1:42:54 PM
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! Your essay has been chosen as a Semi-Finalist for the "Be the Change" December writing contest.

Check out the full writing contest summary here: http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensandBodyImage.aspx

We loved reading your essay and look forward to reading your future essays on StageofLife.com. Please continue to write for our contests!

-Nate DeRose
Writing Intern
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 6:44:54 PM