Be the Change: Donating Life

mmoore
At first I will admit I was terrified, I can be a baby when it comes to these things. When I told my family I first told my dad he just nodded, my mom said she was proud of me and my brother said I would never do it. The next morning at school I proved them wrong, I donated blood for the American Red Cross. Ever since then, my outlook on things has changed.
I used to be scared to death to get my finger prick or give blood when the doctor needed some so how would I be able to donate blood? The thought was pretty crazy to me. When I first walked into the gym that morning the nerves hit me all at once. I saw people laughing, talking, and donating blood. It did not seem half as bad as I was picturing in my mind, seeing the gym like this gave me a little peace of mind. When it was finally my turn to go I was really nervous. As they sat me down in the chair I was shaking all over, blaming it on being cold. The nurse got me a blanket and talked to me while they pricked me with the needle and got the ball rolling. All it took was confidence and of course the help of fellow donors, also known as, my friends and the wonderful staff. I even had the fastest donating time of five minutes! The feeling of when I donated was awesome. The nurses were extremely nice and talked and joked with me the whole time. In the end I never felt better.
I know this was my first time donating and most first timers don’t donate again but I know I will. In fact I received a phone call the other day asking to donate again, and I know I will be there to give what I can. I want to make a difference this year and for years to come and I will, with the help of the American Red Cross.