Be the Change: Donating Life

At first I will admit I was terrified, I can be a baby when it comes to these things. When I told my family I first told my dad he just nodded, my mom said she was proud of me and my brother said I would never do it. The next morning at school I proved them wrong, I donated blood for the American Red Cross. Ever since then, my outlook on things has changed.
I used to be scared to death to get my finger prick or give blood when the doctor needed some so how would I be able to donate blood? The thought was pretty crazy to me. When I first walked into the gym that morning the nerves hit me all at once. I saw people laughing, talking, and donating blood. It did not seem half as bad as I was picturing in my mind, seeing the gym like this gave me a little peace of mind. When it was finally my turn to go I was really nervous. As they sat me down in the chair I was shaking all over, blaming it on being cold. The nurse got me a blanket and talked to me while they pricked me with the needle and got the ball rolling. All it took was confidence and of course the help of fellow donors, also known as, my friends and the wonderful staff. I even had the fastest donating time of five minutes! The feeling of when I donated was awesome. The nurses were extremely nice and talked and joked with me the whole time. In the end I never felt better.
I know this was my first time donating and most first timers don’t donate again but I know I will. In fact I received a phone call the other day asking to donate again, and I know I will be there to give what I can. I want to make a difference this year and for years to come and I will, with the help of the American Red Cross.

About StageofLife.comAbout Us: is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month. is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.