STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Be the Change: Our Environment Needs Us

Taylorleebar
The world that I live in has the ability to be quite perplexing at times. The high rise buildings and smog filled air stand in stark contrast to the calming breeze of a country day. The cold, mile high mountain peaks stand out against the deep valleys. Then there is the varied, wide array of ideological differences between countries, regions, communities, and individuals themselves. This is the world I come from; the world around me. For me, the concerns of the world were never shared. I went through my adolescence feeling as though my world was comprised solely of school and my small social life. I soon found out that I was wrong.
My perception of the world came crashing down when, in AP Environmental Science, the class watched a film about the true world around me. In plain but profound images, this documentary covered the magnitude of damage inflicted on the earth by human; showcasing the environment—in its already dilapidated state—and even made predictions as to what condition it would soon be in if this blatant disrespect for the environment continues. Just as the mountains contradict the valley; my picture perfect life contradicted the world of problems that plagued the environment.
Before this moment, I was enveloped in suburban life, where such things as desertification and erosion were far and away. With this film, my artificial reality was shattered and my perception of the world I live in was redefined. This new definition included a world where the environment is suffering; where the world is being destroyed by degradation and deforestation, excessive resource use and choking pollution. From that point on, no longer was a wrapped up in my own petty a youth issues, but instead I though in terms of how my actions effected my world—my environment. With my newfound realization, I sought out ways to become more active in my environment; participating in coastal cleanups—picking up trash on beaches to avoid water pollution—and even becoming vice-president of my high school’s Green Team, a club dedicated to increasing environmental awareness.
Green Team has given me the platform I needed to spread knowledge and understanding to the atrocities we as humans are committing on the earth’s systems. . I have researched local events and activities that Green Team can participate in to help our community. I hope that through these community tasks, I am making a difference in the environment and also in the minds of those who are unconvinced of the severity of the situation at hand.
It is my responsibility as an individual to be aware of the environment and my own personal effects on it. However, I strive to instill the same determination into others and to “be the change” that saves our environment from an untimely fate.

Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy