A Healthier Life

Asweet
A Human being is much like any machine, it works well with the right combination fuel, maintenance, and parts. There is a delicate balance of each aspect, but when fine-tuned, the machine is capable of performing at optimum levels. For a human, the same components of well-being are food, drugs, and exercise. In the coming year, 2013, I will make a change for the better in myself and others to improve overall health.
Food is essential to health because it provides the substance of our body as well as the energy it requires to operate. As a teenager, I understand a desire to eat food. This desire can be an obstacle if allowed to be one. For instance if to overcome hunger, I decided to eat a cupcake where I had the option to choose a healthy alternative such as an apple, an orange, or a carrot stick, I certainly would not be making the healthiest choice. Yet repeatedly I have made such a choice or sat idly by as someone I know does the same. There certainly is nothing wrong with occasionally enjoying something that simply tastes good as long as it is kept to moderation, and with an otherwise balanced diet, but we must fight the temptations to not follow healthy eating habits.
Recently I began playing indoor soccer I have repeatedly in the past. In the first game though, I realized that I was sorely out of shape when compared to some of the others. Upon reflecting upon my exercise habits, I realized that I had allowed my body to deteriorate. I had not ran in months, hardly ever performed strength exercises or went to a gym. Most people would agree that such a lifestyle is not one that is healthy. Now I have pointed out another detriment, I will begin a process of increasing my output in physical activity. With a proper diet as well as continued building and maintenance of physical ability, everyone could certainly live a healthier lifestyle than without them.
Since achieving perfect health is bordering impossible there is a great possibility that we will get sick. Healthcare has made great strides in assuaging the pains of the masses however drugs, including alcohol, are not to be misused. Many drugs including pain relievers given by doctors especially for surgery are extremely harmful if not taken under orders of a medical professional. Prescribed drugs including narcotics for pain relief can be extremely addictive substances if abused. Therefore if I recognize someone misusing drugs I will point out the negative effects it can have on their health. Http://www.med.unc.edu includes in its list of symptoms of drug abuse: high blood pressure, which can lead to heart attacks, and an ironic reduction of the immune system’s ability to fight infection/ disease.
Diet, exercise, and drugs all can have staggering effects on a person’s health. As they each could provide some detriment, they become even more potent as a combination. Therefore in the new year, 2013, we should encourage those we come into contact with to live healthier lives.