Be The Change: I Will Change How I See Myself

n0stalgic

When most people hear the words "be the change", their minds think of doing things like helping out charities, or changing their communities for the better. That all sounds wonderful, but when I hear "be the change", I think about the number one thing that I need to change first, before I go off and help the world.

I feel the need to change myself, and 2013 is the year to do that.

The day before my 14th birthday, I started going down a bad path that continued until very recently, and it affected who I was overall as a person. Most of all, it affected the image I had of myself. In a short amount of time, I went from being a happy, carefree girl who loved herself and her life to a girl who hated looking in the mirror, because she couldn't stand looking at who she had become.

That's all going to change, starting on January 1, 2013.

I'm going to mainly focus on changing the way I think of myself. For the past couple years, if I accidentally dropped something, I would call myself things like clumsy, stupid, etc. If I messed something up, I would punish myself for not being more careful. I eventually started to see myself as all these things that I routinely called myself.

On January 1st, 2013, I am making an oath to not call myself stupid, underserving, or anything else that is damaging to the image I have of myself. To make sure of this, I am going to start doing what I call "Nice Notes".

"Nice Notes" is a project that I invented on a rainy day a few months ago for some kids that I know. Basically, they're index cards (I prefer bright colored ones) with the date printed on each one, a card for each day of the year. Every night before you go to bed, you write something nice about yourself on the card with that days date on it. For instance, you could write "Today I smiled at myself in the mirror, and I really liked the way my smile looked on me. I think I'll wear it more often!".

The whole point of Nice Notes is to start thinking positive things about yourself, and to stop thinking negative things.

I have made them for kids that I babysit, and starting in 2013, I'm going to start doing them myself. I feel that it is a really helpful thing to do, and I am certain that it will help me accomplish being the change in myself.

Nobody is perfect, but nobody should have negative thoughts or a negative image of themselves, even me. That's why in 2013, I am going to "be the change". I am going to be the change in myself, and once that's accomplished, I'm going to change as many people as I can, maybe even the world, for the better.
Comment by Kwweesten

That's a really good idea!
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2013 1:38:58 PM
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You have been chosen as our 2nd Place winner for the "Be the Change" December writing contest.

Check out the full writing contest summary here: http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensandBodyImage.aspx

We loved reading your essay and look forward to reading your future essays on StageofLife.com. Please continue to write for our contests!

-Nate DeRose
Writing Intern
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 6:33:59 PM