Be the Change- Poverty and Hunger

svirga16
With each new year that has come, the world has changed both positively or negatively. Each year there is always something that can be changed, again for better or for worse. One thing that can be changed for good is the poverty and hunger that is on this planet. Every country, no matter how wealthy they are, contains families who struggle and spend each waking moment trying to find money to support themselves along with their families. Each night, millions of children go to bed hungry and starving.
This is hard to believe that something like this happens here in America, where everyone has the newest IPhone or the latest clothes in fashion, but in reality this is very common. It may not be as common as the amount of poverty in countries in places such as Africa but it still makes a significant impact in the world.
All the time people are always taking advantage of the things they have and of the food they eat. Every day people are are putting food onto their plates, but by the end of the meal are throwing some of it out, cooked and perfectly fine. People are even starting to become picky of the foods they eat, choosing one specific type over the other. Meanwhile, people who are starving are more than happy to have the food that is not “satisfactory” enough for us and enjoy it. Not only are people taking advantage of the food that they eat but also of the things that they have. People are always upgrading the things that they have. They gain high expectations, always expecting more and dismissing the things that are less. Since they dismiss these things, people worry less about the things around them and worry more about themselves. They always take things for granted and never appreciate the things they have due to again these high expectations.
Hunger and poverty is a sad thing to think about in this world. Unfortunately it is one of these things that cannot be fixed over night. Although this is true, there are still many ways to help with all this poverty and hunger that is in this world. It may be hard to help with these issues in Africa, but just helping around in your local area is more than any person could ever ask for. There is UNICEF who helps families around the world by giving them food and daily supplies. Being fifteen I admit myself that donating to these things is hard. But there are shelters and drives that need help and volunteering near local areas. Even if you don’t have the time to volunteer to these organizations, even by giving a coat to a coat drive or donating food to food shelter, is one of the best things any person could ask for. So with Christmas just around the corner, make it one to remember. One where you were able to change the world in the long run for the better.