Be the Change in 2013: Appreciating The Small Things

jvandermerwe15
Be the Change: Appreciating the Small Things

There are many many things that need to be changed in order to the make the world a better place. However, the first change that needs to happen is within myself. After Hurricane Sandy left us powerless for about two weeks, I learned a few things about life. I learned that I need to be more appreciative of the small things in life. Such as family, a warm house, and my strong knitted community. Before the hurricane I was very reliant on the internet, television and power. Life was at a fast pace I never took the time to think for a second how important the little things in life are. For example, how the leaves changes to beautiful colors in the fall, how the agile squirrels gather the acorns for up coming winter months, and how much one relies on the Internet. The internet helps us to connect with our friends, gives us the route to drive to a place, look up information and even to keep in touch with the weather. Even though we are surrounded by a world of technology and funky gadgets we need to make a change to be less reliant on technology. There will come a time when will not be able to rely on technology. Instead of being so reliant on the technological world we need to take time and pause. Pause for a second and realize all the everyday little things in the world. Gives thanks for a warm house, with power, and a family. The internet and technological world may be a big part of our society, however, we need to take the time in 2012 and appreciate the small things in life more. Appreciating the small things in life will help us be more positive about life! In 2013 we need to strive to be more positive about life!