Be the Change: I will help teens overcome societies “rules”.

Deanna

For many years teenagers around the world have suffered from depression or anxiety due to societies standards. They feel like the only way fitting in is by being thin and pretty. So to fit that role, they turn to bulimia, purging, starvation, putting on pounds of makeup, getting surgery and more. It is wrong that at such a young age teenagers resort to such tortuous things to their bodies. I think it is time to end this for the coming up generation.
Personality I am going through all the above. This is why I want to put an end to this because I don’t want anyone else going through what I am currently going through. I’m always down on myself and I believe it changes who I am as a person when I’m with other people. It makes you feel very insecure and that effects your interaction with other peers. It puts these crazy thoughts in your head and making you stress over every thing you say because you are convinced you sound unintelligent and straight up stupid. Yes, shyness is a type of personality, that many people have, but to a certain extent it’s much more then being shy. It’s not right to have such strong feelings of hatred towards yourself, and I know I do. In my opinions, it’s not something you can control. Our society is based around all these gorgeous, stick figured models or for guys, tall muscular males. So in young teens minds that’s what seems to be the only way to be accepted, skinny. That shouldn’t occur. Everyone is beautiful and it’s about time someone makes a change.
This should be taken seriously because this is a cause of death, suicide. Suicide is one of the top ten causes of death. Suicide happens more then 50% of the time because people hate themselves and don’t see a reason in existing. I understand where they are coming from, the feelings of being unappreciated, ugly, stupid, fat, and many more run through my mind too. But what also runs through my mind is how I don’t want my daughter or son to ever feel this way. To feel like they’re not worth living. That’s why I want to stand up and tell everyone that they all are beautiful and to ignore the society, but I can’t. I could but it wouldn’t mean anything. Saying to someone will mean nothing to that person who has a disorder like depression. They need to believe it themselves.
In order for people to actually believe that they are worth living, society needs to step up their act and have normal sized models or larger ones, because no matter what the size, they are just as good looking. People need to over come numbers on a scale and realize some one out there is looking for someone exactly like them. Changing will only make it harder. Even if they might not see themselves has pretty has the next girl someone else does. Society needs to in bed that in all young teens minds before it’s too late.
If I could I would put an end to this nonsense but unfortunately it doesn't work that way. So instead I will help who I can at that time. I am older I am craving on becoming a psychologist because I want to help people suffering from depression or eating disorders. I want lead them onto a path much more worth taking. I want to make them happy.