STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Be The Change: Climbing the Staircase to Success

clairedrotman
Mahatma Gandhi once said, “You must be the change you wish to see in the world.” In other words, the first step of establishing change is displaying it through your own actions. In today’s society everyone demands change, but how many have taken the first step towards change? How can I display the change I wish to see in society? By sticking to my beliefs, morals and teaching others, I will be able to be the change I wish to see in the world.

For me, the eradication of underage drinking is the change I wish to see in the world. In reality, I may not be able to solve this societal problem, but I do know I can have an effect on my community. Achieving a goal is just like climbing a flight of stairs. Seeing the top is easy, but it is much harder to actually reach the top. Each step taken is just one is a step closer to the top and one by one, step by step, a small accomplishment has been achieved. While a few steps may not seem like much; compared to the beginning, one has come a long way from the start.

The abuse of alcohol is extremely widespread and common among teenagers. In a recent poll, 72% of high school students have confessed to drinking alcohol. But the real question is why? Why would a person consume something knowing it will affect their brain, body, health and choices? Why put yourself in a position like that? For some, it is the idea of acceptance; a concept I will never fully understand. Personally, I did struggle with this choice in the beginning of my freshman year. All of my best friends began to make bad choices and decided to go down the path we were all taught to stay away from. Using my personal morals and beliefs, I forced myself into making an important decision. I decided it would be best if I distanced myself from these friends because, I saw myself on the road to success and would not make choices that would stand in my way; especially not alcohol. I eventually found a group of friends who accepted me and I did not have to be someone I was not in order to feel accepted.

So how can I make a change in 2013? How can one girl from a small town impact the world? By helping other students who are in the position I was once in, I can make a difference. . No one should be peer pressured into drinking in order to feel “cool”, which is why I have taken my previous experiences and paid them forward to others who I have noticed struggling to fit in, which is why my goal for 2013 is to help as many people as I can in making the right choices and continue to climb their staircase to success.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy