Be The Change: Climbing the Staircase to Success

clairedrotman
Mahatma Gandhi once said, “You must be the change you wish to see in the world.” In other words, the first step of establishing change is displaying it through your own actions. In today’s society everyone demands change, but how many have taken the first step towards change? How can I display the change I wish to see in society? By sticking to my beliefs, morals and teaching others, I will be able to be the change I wish to see in the world.

For me, the eradication of underage drinking is the change I wish to see in the world. In reality, I may not be able to solve this societal problem, but I do know I can have an effect on my community. Achieving a goal is just like climbing a flight of stairs. Seeing the top is easy, but it is much harder to actually reach the top. Each step taken is just one is a step closer to the top and one by one, step by step, a small accomplishment has been achieved. While a few steps may not seem like much; compared to the beginning, one has come a long way from the start.

The abuse of alcohol is extremely widespread and common among teenagers. In a recent poll, 72% of high school students have confessed to drinking alcohol. But the real question is why? Why would a person consume something knowing it will affect their brain, body, health and choices? Why put yourself in a position like that? For some, it is the idea of acceptance; a concept I will never fully understand. Personally, I did struggle with this choice in the beginning of my freshman year. All of my best friends began to make bad choices and decided to go down the path we were all taught to stay away from. Using my personal morals and beliefs, I forced myself into making an important decision. I decided it would be best if I distanced myself from these friends because, I saw myself on the road to success and would not make choices that would stand in my way; especially not alcohol. I eventually found a group of friends who accepted me and I did not have to be someone I was not in order to feel accepted.

So how can I make a change in 2013? How can one girl from a small town impact the world? By helping other students who are in the position I was once in, I can make a difference. . No one should be peer pressured into drinking in order to feel “cool”, which is why I have taken my previous experiences and paid them forward to others who I have noticed struggling to fit in, which is why my goal for 2013 is to help as many people as I can in making the right choices and continue to climb their staircase to success.