STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Be The Change: How I Will Change My World With Love and Respect

racheljanie
World Peace, it’s the word that leaves every beauty queens lips, every pastor has taught at least one sermon on it, most people think they want it and yet its’ impossible to achieve. It’s not that humans are born wanting war but at their core they lack the ability to respect people on all levels. It’s the arrogant belief that I am right, you are wrong therefore your arguments are invalid. This circular logic defines societies. It has for centuries and will continue to until the world self-destructs. It’s the differences between the rich and poor, gay and straight, Christian and Muslim, which create these lines in the sand no one is willing to cross. Changing the world so the world can have peace will need to start small. There is no civilization in this world that wants their beliefs thrown out because someone believes they are wrong. That is tyranny. But by committing acts of love, opening minds, and developing respect across all levels, changing the world will become simpler.
In 2013 I plan to change the world by changing my world view. I will be traveling to Madagascar with a conservative Christian group. My views are not conservative in fact they are quite progressive. I believe in marriage equality, I’m pro-choice and in fact I am the daughter of a proud lesbian woman who teaches a class called human sexuality at the local college. I am a conservative Christian’s nightmare. But I am not going on this trip to interrupt the views of other people or to demand they see things my way. No, I have a strong belief that in order to receive respect you must first give it. Therefore this trip to Madagascar is not for me to be selfish. It is for education and a love of serving people. I want to drill myself on how to best serve people, how to understand another’s perspective and how to develop a sophisticated world view.
In my life I have been blessed with several opportunities to serve the wider world and in Madagascar I will spend 2 months attending to the needs of orphans in different areas. Most of the traveling will be done on dirt-bike and there will be no running water. I once heard an anonymous quote that perfectly encompasses my feelings on how to change the world, “Show love and care to all the people around you and to those you meet in in your life today. So when someone asks you, ‘Are you in love?’ Then you can proudly answer ‘No love is in me!’ ” Love is something you can say a million times but only your actions can back it up. Therefore my trip will be about loving people not through words but through tangible action. I will show these orphans that love is something they deserve and that someone will give it to them.
Rate this:
Comment by Kwweesten

This was very moving. Good luck with your trip!
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2013 10:09:36 PM
Rate this:
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! Your essay has been chosen as a Semi-Finalist for the "Be the Change" December writing contest.

Check out the full writing contest summary here: http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensandBodyImage.aspx

We loved reading your essay and look forward to reading your future essays on StageofLife.com. Please continue to write for our contests!

-Nate DeRose
Writing Intern
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 6:57:22 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy