Be the Change: A Balance of Food

fmike26
In today’s world, we are saturated with advertisements for fast food. Fast food is everywhere we look, and it makes it harder for us Americans to eat healthy. My belief is that most people choose unhealthy foods over healthy ones because of affordability, convenience and the lack of knowledge on healthy foods.
Affordability is a huge kicker when it comes to purchasing foods. For instance, at McDonalds there is the Dollar Menu, where you can purchase a whole meal for fewer than five dollars. But at the restaurant Saladworks, one small salad cost six dollars. The United States has been in an economic recession for the past few years, so people have been trying to be good with their money.
The utter convenience of fast food also makes it a good contender to healthy foods. Healthy foods tend to take longer to cook and produce. Plus, when one is busy and hurrying to get somewhere, Drive-Thrus are a great help for that person. When you buy a big mac the drive thru, you get it in a minute or two, and you are set to go.
Lastly, the lack of knowledge of what is a healthy food hinders us from purchasing it. For example, just because it says No-Fat or Low Calorie doesn’t mean it is healthier.
So, the way I will be the change this year is to set an example for others when going to the supermarket by skipping the unhealthy things and going for the fresh fruits and vegetables sections.