STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Sustainability: Together We Are Stronger

banyan106
What drives me is an intense interest in conservation and how film and photography can reach a broad audience to affect positive change. In February 2011, I attended the "Ethical Solutions for Environmental Classism" conference at the United World College in Montezuma, NM. There I enjoyed meeting students from all over the world and learning about environmental crises that affect us. I was particularly struck by how a problem that seems a world away is really our problem too. A global economy demands a global approach to the stewardship of resources worldwide as well as a holistic approach to meeting human needs. I especially enjoyed the problem-solving sessions where students from across the globe could exchange ideas empower another student half a world away. I gained a new perspective and I want to expand on this perspective in my college studies and in my surrounding community.
In terms of understanding globalization, I have just scratched the surface. At first it seems that globalization is a positive way of interacting. Through technologies like Google Earth and Skype we can communicate instantly with people from all over the world. But, if we look at globalized economies the story becomes quite different. Economic globalization destroys local economies. For example, here in Grant County, New Mexico the second largest international mining company, Freeport-McMoran, seeks out local sources of copper and sells it on the open market to the highest bidder. Every day we see semi-trucks full of refined copper leaving our community. The only benefit to the community seems to be jobs. These jobs are high-paying, but inconsistent. Freeport-McMoran hires and fires employees according the fluctuations in the copper market, creating uncertainty for families and our community. The mine has also impacted the water quality in the county because the mine tailings are sprayed with acid to extract the copper. This acidic water leaks into our aquifers. Finally, the mine uses clean, pure water in the processing of copper. This water could be used for drinking and raising livestock and food.
Who benefits from all of this? Given that our state is ranked 49th out of 50 states in terms of overall wealth and our county has an 11% unemployment rate where 1 in 5 families depend on food stamps, I would say that Freeport-McMoran, the multi-billion dollar corporation, does.
What I plan to study in college is marine biology, film, and leadership. I want to learn about steps I can take to become a leader in conservation and building local economies to benefit our community and the community of the school in which I will enroll and better myself as an individual. Together we can be stronger. We can build a world with strengthened economic, social, and environmental integrity that will provide a solid foundation for my generation and generations to come.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy