Be The Change: Anti-Bullying

LaurenEW16
Over the past month, my English class and I have been working on Be The Change essays about topics that we picked either because we have been personally effected by them or simply because we had something to prove. My topic was basically this: “Bullying is a serious issue today because of all the effects it has on people.” I picked this topic not only because I believe very strongly that bullying is a serious topic and victims often suffer very severely from it but also because I have personal experience with bullying. Let’s just say that my elementary school years weren’t always the best. I realized that as we get older, we have the chance to do something bigger than we could have ever imagined as long as we have an idea and the drive to achieve those things. I wish a lot more people would see this my way.
During my writing process for my essay, I wasn’t exactly sure as to what I wanted to accomplish or change about bullying. I knew I wanted to make people aware of the issue at hand and make them realize just how serious bullying is. It wasn’t until after I wrote my essay that I had a idea of what I wanted to do. All I really want to do is have an effect on people. Even if that means making them rethink something they say to someone or do to someone for just a second, at least they thought about it. I also wanted people to stand up for each other. Seeing someone get bullied? Stand up for them. If you sit there and let it happen, how are you any better than the bully? You aren’t.
There are a lot of things that I think need to be done in 2013 to try and stop bullying. I think for one, ALL the states need to have bullying laws. 49 states have them as of today. Also, these laws need to be detailed. When the laws are very loosely written, this makes it easier for people to get around them. They also need to be enforced more. Cyber Bullying is becoming more and more popular nowadays, making it easy for people to see how nasty some of this bullying is. But under most laws, nothing can be done unless a threat was made. This is injustice to the ones who were bullied and their attackers made no threats, they just hurt their self esteem.
One last thing that should be done in 2013 is people taking a stand. The more people that care and support anti-bullying causes, the more people can see that it’s serious. We all have the potential to do great things in this world we just have to have the courage to do them. Everyone has that courage inside of them. Taking a stand for our worlds children & teens who are being bullied is remarkable. You could even save someone life just by showing you care. Stand up, and be the change.