STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Favorite Book: “Wringer” by Jerry Spinelli, helped me face childhood problems of friendship

solfa228
Ever since elementary school, I have always enjoyed reading. There is no equivalent to the way that a book can transport you worlds away with the crack of a spine (a book's, of course). But looking back on the many books I have read, I believe that the greatest books have the power to change something within. Wringer, by Jerry Spinelli, is such a book.
In the story, Palmer separates from his gang of friends because his morals strongly differed from theirs. In my life, this has relevance because in the past I have had friends whom I had disconnected from because they changed. I had just moved into a new school district, and making new friends in the 7th grade was difficult, as I was rather introverted, and the other students had already known each other since young. Each day was an effort, being afraid that others would pick on the “new kid”. When I eventually fit in, and gained friends, the feeling was great. School wasn’t the place I dreaded to go anymore. However, I soon realized that the people that I had become friends with were not all that they appeared to be. They only extended their hospitality to those that espoused their inclinations, and I found that my values were actually much different than theirs. When I came to this conclusion, it caused me stress, because I wanted to have friends at school, but not if they would only care if I was always in harmony with them. Eventually, with the help of this book, I made my decision; I stopped associating with my old friends. Through this experience, I feel that it is easier to understand Palmer’s struggle, and because of his conflict, he became a better person in my eyes. For me, by not conforming to the new values my friends had developed, I feel that I had become a better person as well. Even now, when I am in high school, the experiences of a 9 year old boy can help me learn.
This book also helped me truly realize the meaning of friendship. After thinking about the book and its message, I realized that people aren’t always your friends, even if they may pretend to be. True friends aren’t forceful on their opinions, and don’t pressure you to adhere to their expectations or opinions. Palmer stumbles upon this epiphany firsthand, struck by the fear of what his “friends” would do to him if they found out that he was a traitor, yet he had to stay their friend in order to survive. “Maybe I won’t even have a party,” he said. But he knew he would. Because the guys were already talking about it. They were expecting it. And because his strategy for surviving the summer was simply this: stay on their good side.”
Even though one might glance at this book and question the philosophical content of it, it has had a significant impact on my life and on the meaning of friendship to me.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy