STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Favorite Book: ”What Happened To Goodbye” by Sarah Dessen taught me it's okay to be yourself

Mykayla Jones
Being a writer I like to read, there are many books I have read, plenty have made me cry, laugh, or touched my heart in many ways. However, if I were to choose one I would choose What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen.
Have you ever wanted to be someone else? What if you got the chance to be someone else? Though, you didn’t mind because you didn’t want to be yourself, anyways, because you were running from yourself. You were running the past, from reality, you were living in a fantasy world. We have all had something that has happen to us in the past, that we regret. Weather the situation was tragic or minor. And sometimes that situation comes to haunt us in the future, and you can do is run from it. You can run all you want, but you eventually will run out of places to go, and you will have to face reality. That’s what happens to Mclean in What Happen to Goodbye.
This amazing book inspired me to be myself and it’s not okay to run from the past, no matter what is in the past. People tend to run from their past, weather it is failure, having a bad childhood or even experiencing a crime. Though, the past is who you are, it makes you, YOU. The past makes you more stronger that you already are. Just take one day at a time and remember if you hide from your problems they will never go away, until they are resolved.
In this book the character is running from her mother, who she avoids as much as possible because her mother ruined their parent’s relationship. Mclean of course, decides lives with her father, her father’s job requires for him to move around every six months or so, therefore in the past 2 years they have been to about 4 different places, which means Mclean has been to 4 different schools. Each place they move Mclean changes her name, who she is, the way she acts, pretty much everything and she is very careful and makes sure she doesn’t get close to anyone. Why? She is running from herself. Running from her past. Then, one day she moves to a new town, and by mistake she is introduced by her real name. Mclean tries to act her real self but she doesn’t even know who that is anymore. Then the worst happens she starts getting close to people and on top of all of that her mom is trying to reach out to her. Will she ever be that girl she was two years ago? Go read it to find out! I think everyone would learn a good lesson from this book, there are so many lessons you could learn in this book and many more of Sarah Dessen books
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy