My Favorite Book: "The Giver" by Lois Lowry

Keri Fox

One of the most interesting books that I have ever read was the Giver. I wasn't interested in reading this book because I thought it would be another one of those boring classics. The Giver is based in a society that is free from all suffering. Everyone is treated the same, acts the same, and basically looks the same. At a certain age, children would be rewarded with one gift, or they would be expected to step up and receive their job. Jonas is given the Receiver of Memory. Jonas must receive all the memories of pain, and suffering from the Giver. I found this interesting because They live in a "pain free" world where only one person gets a chance to understand the real world or at least remember it.

The Givers' job is to transfer the memories passed down from generation, to the next receiver of memories. When the Giver transfers the memories he places his hands on Jonas' back. What I was surprised about was when Jonas receives these memories, he experiences all of the pain and suffering within the memories.

The Giver was an eye opening book for me because it was based in a world where people were not exposed to suffering, pain or basically emotions. The Giver once asks "Is a society like this truly happier? Can you feel true joy if you don't feel pain?" This made me realize that having perfection isn't always best. This depiction of perfection and suffering changed my understanding of the real world. I also found it interesting that when the women and men grew older they were sent away, and the children never saw them.

My response to The Giver is both positive and negative, my response is negative because I believe that The Giver is based in some ways in an extremely unrealistic society. Never experiencing pain or suffering, and having everyone being treated the same and having their future set out for them until they get their job, is not realistic. Also, that one person is responsible for holding all of the suffering and pain, memories of grandparents and that no one but the next receiver can know. My response is positive because The Giver made me realize the reality of our world. I did like the ending of The Giver because it allowed me to imagine my own ending of what happened to Jonas.

About StageofLife.comAbout Us: is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month. is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.