My Favorite Book: "The Giver" by Lois Lowry

kfox1998
Keri Fox
11/28/12
English

One of the most interesting books that I have ever read was the Giver. I wasn't interested in reading this book because I thought it would be another one of those boring classics. The Giver is based in a society that is free from all suffering. Everyone is treated the same, acts the same, and basically looks the same. At a certain age, children would be rewarded with one gift, or they would be expected to step up and receive their job. Jonas is given the Receiver of Memory. Jonas must receive all the memories of pain, and suffering from the Giver. I found this interesting because They live in a "pain free" world where only one person gets a chance to understand the real world or at least remember it.

The Givers' job is to transfer the memories passed down from generation, to the next receiver of memories. When the Giver transfers the memories he places his hands on Jonas' back. What I was surprised about was when Jonas receives these memories, he experiences all of the pain and suffering within the memories.

The Giver was an eye opening book for me because it was based in a world where people were not exposed to suffering, pain or basically emotions. The Giver once asks "Is a society like this truly happier? Can you feel true joy if you don't feel pain?" This made me realize that having perfection isn't always best. This depiction of perfection and suffering changed my understanding of the real world. I also found it interesting that when the women and men grew older they were sent away, and the children never saw them.

My response to The Giver is both positive and negative, my response is negative because I believe that The Giver is based in some ways in an extremely unrealistic society. Never experiencing pain or suffering, and having everyone being treated the same and having their future set out for them until they get their job, is not realistic. Also, that one person is responsible for holding all of the suffering and pain, memories of grandparents and that no one but the next receiver can know. My response is positive because The Giver made me realize the reality of our world. I did like the ending of The Giver because it allowed me to imagine my own ending of what happened to Jonas.