STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Favorite Book: Grim Tuesday by Garth Nix got me to like reading.

triciadeelicia
My fifth grade class was required to read a certain number of books per quarter. When we neared the end of a quarter and the prospect of achieving my goal wasn’t in sight, my teacher would chase me down and make me pick a book out of the class library, then quiz me on it when I was done. Being a reading cynic, I muttered my way over to a shelf and grabbed the first thing I saw, a little book called Grim Tuesday, the second book in the “Keys to the Kingdom” series by Garth Nix. She watched me sit and open it hesitantly. She watched my eyes first wander on the greyish page in front of me, then maybe take notice of a couple words and finally watched them frantically moving across the page, scanning the text with a speed and enthusiasm I never knew I was capable of.
Normally she didn’t allow her books out of the classroom, but she told me I could take this particular one home with me. I came back two days later and tried to turn it back in to her. She didn’t believe that I had finished it, but with confidence I took the quiz and aced it. It hadn’t taken me long, but I knew this book like the back of my hand. Nix’s story was simply so engaging and his language so appropriate and intriguing, it engrossed me morning, noon, and night.
After all my many years of heckling and hating the concept of reading, or only reading when my mother asked me to, it seemed quite odd that a stack of papers covered in words could possibly be so enticing. That year, especially, I had been very discouraged from reading due to the contents of the class library. It was filled with the typical donations and purchases from the Scholastic book store over the years, which had accumulated into a heap of simpleminded realistic fiction with stories so hackneyed and stereotypical that I didn’t want anything to do with them. But this beautiful work of art came to me hesitantly and actually caught my attention. His stories are an awkward and unusual kind of fantasy that doesn’t come very often, mostly because it doesn’t work for many authors.
The idea of the boundary being broken between this happy, quaint little world and some grotesque fantastical place beyond all familiarity is something we simply wouldn’t want to believe. A place where blue blood flows, and the days of the week, which are the rulers of all, ride around in bathtubs on school playgrounds. These are simply childish musings for the rest of us. But Nix approaches it well. His characters are not only believable but relatable, and it’s easy to get emotionally attached to them. I had no choice but to appreciate his work, as he is truly a master of his craft, and the only author who could get this reluctant reader completely addicted.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy