My Favorite Book: "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein inspired me to try and be more optomistic in my attitude and wr

alligrea
The Art of Racing in the Rain is an inspirational book written by Garth Stein that helped me to try and be more optimistic in my personality and writing. It began because my mother and I have the same interests in literature, which includes fiction, comedy, and drama. When she read the book The Art of Racing in the Rain, she knew it would be to my liking. It’s a beautiful piece of literature describing the life of a man named Denny through the perspective of his lab mix, Enzo. Enzo’s personality portrays that of a human philosopher due to his extreme intelligence, which he gained by watching television extensively. The book begins when Denny first purchases Enzo as a small puppy, and a little later in the book Denny’s wife, Eve, and daughter, Zoë, are introduced. Eve later died from cancer, leaving her parents and Denny in court for custody of Zoë and Enzo, which Denny later ends up winning. Enzo passes away after Denny wins the case.
The book is loaded with comedy, which is probably the main reason I like the book in the first place. Enzo’s innocence and sarcasm towards and about humans makes for hilarious and ironic situations. His innocence causes him to have a misunderstanding about the world, but at the same time, he also shows insight on situations that humans may misinterpret; this opens up an entire new perspective on the story. This perspective has piqued my interest on the subject of point of view, because to consider looking at something differently than what is typical is unique. I commonly ponder about the point of view in my writings, since I now like to write from the point of view of characters or objects that normally would normally not be considered.
Like any good book, The Art of Racing in the Rain is fraught with emotion. Along with the good emotions come the bad, and there are many scenes that can easily make you tear up. Enzo has an optimistic attitude, even during some of the most sad and depressing scenes. This inspired me to try and be a little more optimistic, not only in my writing, but also in my life. It’s given me an opportunity to be more optimistic in my attitude and behavior.
What really brings out the emotion in the story, however, is the style in which the story is written. Garth Stein, the author, wrote in such a narrative and dramatic way that is was borderline cliché, but the story remained original.
It shouldn’t be a mystery about why the book was inspiring to me, or why it should be inspiring to anybody. Any person who loves animals should fall head over heels in love with this piece of literature, because this story really and truly does sound like it’s coming from the perspective of an animal. Enzo speaks in a simple yet descriptive way, and it is this style of wording that makes the story compelling, believable, and beautiful. I highly recommend to any fiction fan that they read a copy of The Art of Racing in the Rain; and I assure you that they will not be disappointed.