My Favorite book, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Caroll, inspired me to write my own stories.

KorperTaco
The book that has affected me the most is Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Can you imagine a world made up of your wildest dreams and fantasies? A world where everything is upside down and the normal rules are bent? That is the world of this wonderful book. Though it’s a widely popular book, and almost used as a cliché in pop culture, I believe that this is the book that spoke to me the most. Like the title suggests, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland is a story about a young girl named Alice who falls (literally) into this wonderful and strange place that broke all of the rules that the normal world. Though I’ve read many books that have colorful and creative ideas and origins, I believe that this one is one of the most extraordinary books ever created in fiction.

When Lewis Carroll made this story, his time was full of literature that was boring, flat, and unimaginative. Sadly, this was normal for books in that time period. So, naturally, when Carroll came out with this story of Mad Hatters and white rabbits with pocket watches, some people thought of him as crazy and delusional. How crazy is this man to write such a story? But, to the general public and broad minded authors, it appealed to them greatly. It was so fantastic, so new and imaginative, that it started changing everyone’s opinions about writing. It didn’t have to be so straight-forward and serious; writing could be enjoyable, brand new, and something that hasn’t been touched upon in the realm of stories. This makes it almost revolutional in literature now. It promotes inspiring and original pieces of work that can delight anyone, even someone who doesn’t appreciate literature the way the rest of the world does. The only thing that would bother me is the way modern society portrays it. To some, this story can leave a bad taste in their mouth because of the overuse of the ideas. The most overused thought of this story has got to be Alice; the way her character is used so frivolously is her design. It makes me upset, as a writer, but I still find hope in the authors that use this story as a muse correctly, as they always write it well.

The way this story affected me the most was through childhood. When I was around seven or eight years old, I would tirelessly read through everything in my grasp. I’d never read the same book twice unless it had pictures, and it just so happened that the copy of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland that I owned was the only book I had with no pictures. Nevertheless, I still read it. I was still confused by the words, because they were obviously outside of my vocabulary at my age, but I still managed to get an overall idea, and understood more and more through the years that I read it. Doing this, I started making little imaginary friends like Alice had, and this actually was my small starting point for writing fiction, and then the rest of my stories. For such a well known story, it inspired me to do big, great things and step into the world of literature as well.