STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

"Tangerine" By Edward Bloor inspired me to be who i am, and no one else.

Ajrenee

Throughout my life there have been many books that have had a positive impact on me. However, the book that made the biggest change in my life is “Tangerine” by Edward Bloor. In this book, the main character Paul Fisher was considered to be the nerd of the school. He was athletic, but he was also legally blind. Paul was also always picked on by his older brother. This book spoke to me because I was always looked at as the freak. When I moved back to Florida and started at a new school, I felt as if I was always being tackled.
In the book “Tangerine”, Paul played soccer. In elementary school I loved to run. Gym was my favorite class because my coach always made us run. Running was a way for me to release the steam of judgment from everyone that had thrown their wicked words at me. I didn’t think that running made everyone hate me more than they already did. The girls in my class thought that I liked to run because I wanted attention from boys. All of the guys in my class thought it was cool, but I wasn’t a part of their crowd so they laughed at what their friends had to say about me.
I’m not legally blind like Paul but I’ve had things that made people look at me differently. I was always nervous around other people which made me sweat. Every day at school, I would be damp, and my deodorant would wear off. After about two hours of school, I would become musky, which gave the class something to laugh about. People who said that they were my friends pointing at my sweat stains that were large enough to see across the hall. I was embarrassed and hated going to school for that reason. Seeing everyone stare at me, laughing it wasn’t easy. I got pushed around in the hallways, and jumped on by classmates because of my anxiety.
The summer after sixth grade, I had to read “Tangerine”. I didn’t expect to read about a character that was similar to me in so many ways. Sure, Paul wasn’t bullied by students the way I was, but he had an older brother that made his life incredibly hard to live. He didn’t get laughed at by others because he ran track, but his brother didn’t think he was a very talented soccer player. After reading this book, I realized that it doesn’t matter what people say, or think about you, it matters what you think. I realized that the only reason I was nervous, was because I knew that I would be surrounded by the same people who teased me every day, and I didn’t know how to deal with it. Paul Fisher taught me how to be myself, without worrying about what anyone else thinks. Tangerine was a book that changed my life.

Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy