STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Favorite book: Every Soul A Star by Wendy Mass inspired me to make friends

santacanon

As a rather shy and secluded child, I found myself reading often. Not to sound pompous, but I believe this caused me to be at a higher level of intelligence than the other kids. Henceforth, I chose not to talk and play with them, but instead with the teachers. I’ve always preferred the company of an adult; their point of view on things has always interested me. They didn’t seem to mind, so I continued spending my free time in school with them. My mom at that time had a very demanding job that required her to stay late, so I ended up in after-school day care a lot. Every day I would sit at the adults’ table and read, and chat about my day with them.
One day I did not have a book to read. I had already reread everything in my bookcase at home, and the school library was closed. So I simply doodled at the table, bored out of my mind. The guidance counselor who was watching over us that day, Mrs. G, noticed my boredom. She reached into her purse and pulled out a book, handing it to me and telling me to keep it. I thanked her and began to read right away.
The book was Every Soul A Star by Wendy Mass. I was quickly immersed in the pages, quite enjoying her style of writing. I love seeing a story in many different viewpoints, and Mass changed the character speaking every several chapters. She showed me a clear way of transitioning the character, which hopefully shows in my writing today. The first character introduced was automatically my favorite. Her name was Ally, and she was my inspiration to come out of my shell. She is a strong, outgoing character, and I strived to be like that. She lives at a campground, where, on a date rarer than a blue moon, was witness to a complete solar eclipse. She is well-versed in astrology and is genuinely intrigued by life.
She joins two other pre-teens on a journey to witness true beauty and discover themselves. The first child, Bree, was originally only concerned about her own appearance and rank on the social ladder. One day she and her sister are forced to move to Ally’s campground in order to take Ally’s place as caregivers.
The second child is Jack, a slightly chubby boy who only cares to lounge about in his tree house and draw. When he fails his science class, he is given the choice to either attend summer school or go witness the eclipse with his teacher. He chooses the latter.
These three new friends eventually form a strong bond, regardless of their differences. They stand together during a gorgeous act of coincidence. This book made me realize that while you may live in unlike worlds, if you give somebody a chance, they could very well end up a great friend. I learned that being smart isn’t a valid reason to avoid other kids. Though I now spend my days with peers my own age, I continue to keep in touch with Mrs. G and Ally, reading her story any time I need inspiration.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy