My Favorite book: Every Soul A Star by Wendy Mass inspired me to make friends

santacanon

As a rather shy and secluded child, I found myself reading often. Not to sound pompous, but I believe this caused me to be at a higher level of intelligence than the other kids. Henceforth, I chose not to talk and play with them, but instead with the teachers. I’ve always preferred the company of an adult; their point of view on things has always interested me. They didn’t seem to mind, so I continued spending my free time in school with them. My mom at that time had a very demanding job that required her to stay late, so I ended up in after-school day care a lot. Every day I would sit at the adults’ table and read, and chat about my day with them.
One day I did not have a book to read. I had already reread everything in my bookcase at home, and the school library was closed. So I simply doodled at the table, bored out of my mind. The guidance counselor who was watching over us that day, Mrs. G, noticed my boredom. She reached into her purse and pulled out a book, handing it to me and telling me to keep it. I thanked her and began to read right away.
The book was Every Soul A Star by Wendy Mass. I was quickly immersed in the pages, quite enjoying her style of writing. I love seeing a story in many different viewpoints, and Mass changed the character speaking every several chapters. She showed me a clear way of transitioning the character, which hopefully shows in my writing today. The first character introduced was automatically my favorite. Her name was Ally, and she was my inspiration to come out of my shell. She is a strong, outgoing character, and I strived to be like that. She lives at a campground, where, on a date rarer than a blue moon, was witness to a complete solar eclipse. She is well-versed in astrology and is genuinely intrigued by life.
She joins two other pre-teens on a journey to witness true beauty and discover themselves. The first child, Bree, was originally only concerned about her own appearance and rank on the social ladder. One day she and her sister are forced to move to Ally’s campground in order to take Ally’s place as caregivers.
The second child is Jack, a slightly chubby boy who only cares to lounge about in his tree house and draw. When he fails his science class, he is given the choice to either attend summer school or go witness the eclipse with his teacher. He chooses the latter.
These three new friends eventually form a strong bond, regardless of their differences. They stand together during a gorgeous act of coincidence. This book made me realize that while you may live in unlike worlds, if you give somebody a chance, they could very well end up a great friend. I learned that being smart isn’t a valid reason to avoid other kids. Though I now spend my days with peers my own age, I continue to keep in touch with Mrs. G and Ally, reading her story any time I need inspiration.