STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Rescuing Sprite By: Mark Levin inspired me to Love

BrianaLopez
I didn’t understand how someone could close a book, tears pooling in the corners of their eyes, and smile, while admiring the book’s cover, the teardrops staining it as they fall slowly from their cheeks. It never happened for me; I never felt that with the simplicity of words inked onto a page. That was of course until I read a book that truly touched me. A story that made me one not only falls in love with books but in love with dogs.
The lovely piece of literature I read was a book by Mark Levin titled Rescuing Sprite. This is a book about a man named Mark who was a lover of dogs, and in this book he takes you through an emotional whirlwind in which you experience the grief and sorrow Mark and his family face when they lose their beloved dog, Sprite.
I feel that this book impacted me as much as it did was because it was raw; complete real emotion that he was just spilling out onto the page. He explains everything from how he was feeling, to what exactly was happening in such detail, that it was impossible to not be touched by it. From the first paragraph to the very last he lets you in completely, his thoughts and emotions unconsciously transferred from the page to the reader.
Mark starts off with one dog that means the absolute world to him and his family, Pepsi, and then six years later they decide to add to the family by rescuing another dog: Sprite. For the first few weeks, Sprite was pure bliss, the greatest addition to the family they’d ever made. But then on the third week he became very ill and his chance of surviving was slim to none. Mark and the family seemed to have developed such a strong bond in such a little time that to see this happen to their new beloved dog was intoxicating. One of the worst things was that Sprite came to a full recovery, and for several years he was completely clear, and then it came back and he got sick once again, the second time too sick to continue on.
This story impacted me specifically because a similar experience happened to me a few months after reading this novel. The newest member to my household, a Chihuahua poodle mix by the name of Jade, became very ill, only a few months after welcoming her home. My family and I went on a school trip to Washington D.C and when I returned she was extremely ill. I knew that it was far worse than just a simple cold, or stomach bug, she was out of breath and weak; her joints trembling at each tiny step she took. We rushed her to the emergency room where she spent two weeks battling a severe case of pancreatitis that caused her diabetes which she still has to date.
This book truly touched my heart in a way that no other book has done before. Reading it again after my tragic experience with my dog only made it impact me even more. I can flip through and see small tearstains scattered throughout the pages, reminding me just how much these specific passages felt like more than just words and sentences, but stories imbedded between the lines.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy