my favorite book is Such a Pretty Girl by Laura Weiss because it helped me overcome a very tough situation.

snooki1998
The book “Such a Pretty Girl” by Laura Weiss helped me overcome a difficult situation.
Books have always been a big part of my life. I was raised to read books. But I never knew how much I needed them until last year. Last year my books ended up saving me from something I tried to run from. They brought me back to life.
All of last year I was in a bad situation, my dad’s alcoholism had gotten worse, my mom had been diagnosed with a brain tumor, and we were forced to move back in with my abusive dad. Because of this I found myself being drawn into a bad state of depression, I was scared. Even though I was depressed I did everything in my power to ignore it. Usually when something bad happens to me, that hurts me deeply I choose to ignore it, and in doing so I ended up throwing myself into my books and my writing.
I read my way through several dozen books. But nothing was helping. My situation was getting worse and so was my depression. I was beginning to cut. I felt like there was no purpose for me even to get out of bed in the morning or even eat. I was beginning to lose weight and I developed ugly purple circles under my eyes from lack of iron. I knew that I needed help but I also knew if I told my mom she would hate me. So again I sought to ignore my problems by reading.
One day, when I was spending my many hours in the library, my eyes found a small, vintage looking book stuffed in a corner. Instantly it was rewarded with my attention. I grabbed the book and held it. My jaw dropped when I saw the cover. It had a picture of an old wilted rose on the front with a black border around it, it was breath taking. The book was titled “Such a Pretty Girl” by Laura Weiss. I had never heard of her before, but I decided to read the book anyways.
When I got home that night, I began reading. It was so different from what I expected. The book was in the point of view of a fifteen year old girl that had been raped by her father when she was twelve. She was promised nine years of safety but only got three. The government decided to let her dad out of jail early. Her father came back to live with the girl’s mother and her and he was coming back with the same intentions he left with.
Rape is a very touchy subject, but the way the author explained it showed how it could ruin someone. Everything was so realistic. I read the book in four hours. I cried most of the way through it. The book touched my heart. I could connect to it because I also had problems with my father. Of course they weren’t the same problems but I knew what it was like to be scared of your father. This book made me realize that my situation could be worse. The girl in the book had also cut but she quit when she realized it didn’t help. That’s when I quit because it didn’t help. After that book I decided I wasn’t going to let my dad hurt me anymore. I started digging my way out of my depression and somehow it worked.
This book also inspired my writing it opened a door in my writing. I was able to see that I could take my situation make it worse but still have that personal connection I needed to write the story. This book did a lot for me and I’m grateful that I found it. Somehow I feel like it found me, that I was meant to read it. Maybe it was my destiny.