STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Favorite Book: It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini inspired me to live

anillegiblemess
When it comes to inspirations, I'm mostly inspired by music, and not really books. I love books, I read all the time, but I normally don't become really close to the characters. Usually, in music, there is a tone of voice that helps me relate to the emotions shown.
However, there is one book that I've connected to so well that I read it over and over again and never get tired of it. “It's Kind of a Funny Story” by Ned Vizzini is a young adult novel that centers around a fifteen-year old boy who is stressed out from school and his friends, tries to kill himself, but is sent to a mental ward instead. Now you may be thinking, with a title like “It's Kind of a Funny Story”, what's so funny about any of this? Well, there is a ton of wit and sarcastic humor that compels the story, makes it more realistic, and thusly is closer to relate to.
The main character, Craig, is the one character that I have bonded the most with. I understood the problems he faced, as I was also stressed out from school at the time when I was reading it. More or less it was friendship and trust problems as opposed to being overworked. Still, my parents did expect a great deal out of me, and it put a lot of weight on my shoulders.
I was depressed and didn't really know what I was doing with my life when I picked this book up at a local bookstore. Before I read it, I really hated realistic fiction and most of the young adult novels, as most that I had seen had terrible writing and awful plot. Little did I know that this book would set me into the genre I now love to write and would prefer it over fantasy any day.
The plot went by rather slowly and bored me at first, but once Craig really started to develop as a character, I realized how much he sounded like me, in personality and troubles. I kind of felt like I was Craig in a way, and that I was actually in the mental ward with him, going through all this madness that was funny, embarrassing, and memorable at the same time. This book made me laugh, cry, and most of all, change myself. The conclusion is quite simply beautiful in itself, beautiful enough to make me cry. It says that everything you do, every verb and action is yours, and you choose it. You choose to live, so live. That part is really what hit me, and ever since then I don't think I've felt as bad about myself. True, there are times when I just want to give up, but then I remember that line and everything that I have done, and I feel better. Not overly happy, but so much better than before. And that's good enough for me.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy