STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Robert Pirsig’s Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance inspired me to alter the thoughts of the world.

jdvorak2
After I’d stared for several minutes, the strips of bus seat-fabric burned into my eyes. The shuttle bus hit a bump on the road. My mouth was slightly open, my fingers held onto the book I’d brought for the long trip—the afore-mentioned book of Pirsig’s—and I was engrossed in thought.
Around that time, I was obsessed with Eastern philosophy and the Romantic view of history as a cyclical journey of pure imagination. (The only western philosophy I’d even read was The Fountainhead.) My interest in the East led me mainly to Zen, so the title caught my eye in the bookstore.
I was thus very surprised when I read the first chapter of Pirsig’s novel and found that it centered on a narrative about a man and his son. As I read, I gradually grew more annoyed with the narrator, a shallow character detached from even his oldest friends. Then I discovered Phaedrus.
This character works in the novel as a teacher of rhetoric in a small college and develops there his theories of Romantic and Classical world-views. As I read of how the narrator viewed the world, I slowly realized that I wasn’t quite as left-brained as I’d thought—even Pirgig’s mechanical imagery seemed to reinforce the idea that I was a Classicalist. When he described a person, I was bored by the personalities presented, the life stories that were so bleak—abstract philosophy, meanwhile, enraptured me.
I moved with the story’s bits of philosophic monologue, and reexamined each facet of my existence—I eventually found that I was logical, yet imaginative, just like Phaedrus.
I was overjoyed, and bemused, when I shared Phaedrus’s realization near the end of the book. Through my reading, I had slowly become unsure of my previous perspectives on life—if I was so illogical in the past, could there be any hope for a world of reason for myself in the present, or even the future? There would always be a segment of my beliefs devoted to the idea that untempered imagination was the greatest force in the universe, and, to my mind, this would always be the opposite of the reason I’d come to have. However, as I read of Phaedrus discovering a similarity between Ancient Greek philosophy and Taoism, I thought back to my own reading. Pirsig’s quotes from Tao Te Ching pointed towards quotes from Ayn Rand, which led me back to my own thoughts. A grand puzzle came together, as it did for Phaedrus, and I realized that the two views of the world had to be reconciled, to coexist in any mind. When I reached the book’s conclusion that all philosophers strive for this ideal, I turned back to the cover and looked at the insignia of a wrench and a lotus flower embossed there. This book had helped to combine the two things, and so would I.
Rate this:
Comment by GeorgeFitzwilliamIV

Truly inspirational.
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 5:49:07 PM
Rate this:
Comment by alligrea

What a great submission! I love your use of language in this piece, and your writing has given me inspiration to read this book as well.
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 9:28:48 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy