STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Favorite Book: "Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret." By Judy Blume - A book that helped me find myself.

Rgonz97
The importance of literature has never been lost on me. I’ve always been aware of the effect that it could have on a person and just how much it could influence certain thoughts and opinions. Because I make a habit of emotionally attaching myself to any piece of writing I come across, I think I’m well experienced.

A book that has proved to be of great importance to me would be “Are You There, God? It’s Me, Margaret.” by Judy Blume. Though I only read this book once, it was during a time in which I was able to relate to the main character on a very personal level and it is why I consider it to be so significant. It is also one book that I had the most emotional attachment to after reading it.

I remember being in the fourth grade and having my teacher, being an avid book lover himself, preach the wonders of books and the message that they all carried within them. He would encourage us to immerse ourselves in books like these and I had finally decided that I wanted to experience what this was like. Having consulted my mother about this, she suggested Judy Blume as an author for me to consider and it wasn’t long before I found the book that I felt was most like me.

“Are You There, God? It’s Me, Margaret.” follows the main character, Margaret, as she searches for a religion for herself, while she deals with many other pre-teen female issues. Though I was only in the fourth grade at the time that I read this book, I was able to understand Margaret’s desires to grow up and discover herself on a deeper level. The fourth grade was a time in my life through which I began to question myself, despite being so young. I was curious to know how I would make a name for myself and what exactly that name would entitle. I had also began to take notice of the women in my family and how developed they seemed to be, while I still remained looking like a child. I wanted to break out of this and reading about someone that felt the same way resonated with me quite intensely.

This book also spawned a love of reading within me. Because I was able to relate to it so strongly, I began to wonder whether other books could have the same effect. I was quickly becoming as ardent a reader as my teacher and it felt almost as if all the characters I read about were becoming a part of me.

Despite the thousands of characters and situations involved in the books I read, one thing always remained clear to me. No other character, or even book as a whole, was ever able to hit so close to home with me like Margaret’s story did. It is for this very reason that Judy Blume’s masterpiece will forever be remembered by me.

Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy