My favorite book is Crank by Ellen Hopkins

GoFlyAKite

The book Crank by Ellen Hopkins changed me. It’s about a girl named Kristina, a straight A student, until she visits her father, that is. With the help of his friends, they get her hopelessly addicted to methamphetamine, or crystal meth. Kristina returns with her mom and lets it tear her life apart, thanks to side effects (psychotic behavior, anxiety, hallucinations, unclear thoughts, etc). The drug destroyed her appearance, as well as her mind, on each page.
While I read it, I was astounded at how Kristina treated her own life. The book goes on as does my curiosity, and the desire to acquire information to caution myself. On occasion, people would ask me, “Hey, wanna get high?” I’d just stare back blankly, and respond with, “Do I look stupid? Marijuana [let alone meth, in Kristina’s case] could mess you up: physically and mentally. I don’t fathom why you would think about trying it, and even ask others around you to ‘get high’ as well.” To be honest, I have lost many friendships thanks to this specific question they ask, only because I’d rather not constantly worry about his/her health and/or decisions. An old friend had called me in the past, saying, “I’m so drunk and high right now… Like you don’t even know, Man...” I was appalled. He acted as if he didn’t know his own name and I doubted he knew he who he was speaking to.
Furthermore, this tale teaches me to never let the possibility of drugs enter my mind. Hearing about Kristina’s life and how crystal meth ruined her personality by the side effects of the it is the best warning I’ll ever get, without trying meth or marijuana myself. Yes, people from hospitals could come to schools and advise teenagers to stay away from it, but most would ignore their admonitions and try it anyway. Knowing that Crank is a true story, it helped me more than doctors ever could.
Also, Kristina’s her addictions got her kicked out of her parent’s home at exactly 18. Thanks to meth, it made her judgments hazy. Her mother couldn’t take how Kristina treated her own child (an example of her “hazy decisions) and her little brother. She loved her daughter dearly, but the addiction was taking affect on children in the household. Kristina’s mom just pushed her out the door and said to never come back, unless she is healthy and cured. This part of the story made me think, “Wow. If I was in Kristina’s position, my mom would do the exact same thing to me.”
This story clearly expressed that you should dismiss peer pressure and follow all those corny “Say No to Drugs” posters. No matter how left out you feel, it’s worth it in the end. I’ve learned so much about meth that I probably shouldn’t know, considering my age, but knowing these things has just given me more caveat. Crank showed me how to expand my horizons, not contract them.