STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My favorite book is Crank by Ellen Hopkins

GoFlyAKite

The book Crank by Ellen Hopkins changed me. It’s about a girl named Kristina, a straight A student, until she visits her father, that is. With the help of his friends, they get her hopelessly addicted to methamphetamine, or crystal meth. Kristina returns with her mom and lets it tear her life apart, thanks to side effects (psychotic behavior, anxiety, hallucinations, unclear thoughts, etc). The drug destroyed her appearance, as well as her mind, on each page.
While I read it, I was astounded at how Kristina treated her own life. The book goes on as does my curiosity, and the desire to acquire information to caution myself. On occasion, people would ask me, “Hey, wanna get high?” I’d just stare back blankly, and respond with, “Do I look stupid? Marijuana [let alone meth, in Kristina’s case] could mess you up: physically and mentally. I don’t fathom why you would think about trying it, and even ask others around you to ‘get high’ as well.” To be honest, I have lost many friendships thanks to this specific question they ask, only because I’d rather not constantly worry about his/her health and/or decisions. An old friend had called me in the past, saying, “I’m so drunk and high right now… Like you don’t even know, Man...” I was appalled. He acted as if he didn’t know his own name and I doubted he knew he who he was speaking to.
Furthermore, this tale teaches me to never let the possibility of drugs enter my mind. Hearing about Kristina’s life and how crystal meth ruined her personality by the side effects of the it is the best warning I’ll ever get, without trying meth or marijuana myself. Yes, people from hospitals could come to schools and advise teenagers to stay away from it, but most would ignore their admonitions and try it anyway. Knowing that Crank is a true story, it helped me more than doctors ever could.
Also, Kristina’s her addictions got her kicked out of her parent’s home at exactly 18. Thanks to meth, it made her judgments hazy. Her mother couldn’t take how Kristina treated her own child (an example of her “hazy decisions) and her little brother. She loved her daughter dearly, but the addiction was taking affect on children in the household. Kristina’s mom just pushed her out the door and said to never come back, unless she is healthy and cured. This part of the story made me think, “Wow. If I was in Kristina’s position, my mom would do the exact same thing to me.”
This story clearly expressed that you should dismiss peer pressure and follow all those corny “Say No to Drugs” posters. No matter how left out you feel, it’s worth it in the end. I’ve learned so much about meth that I probably shouldn’t know, considering my age, but knowing these things has just given me more caveat. Crank showed me how to expand my horizons, not contract them.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy