My favorite book: The Fault In Our Stars by John Green, as it opened my eyes to inevitability

The Knife Master
I’m not entirely sure why the power of the written word is overlooked. Literature of all types impact and influence us far more than most recognize. Our thoughts and actions have a tendency to alter themselves based on the people we surround ourselves with, but also by the books we read. When you open a book, you enter the realm of the author. Each piece reflects the author, it’s nothing but their ideas. And whether or not you’re aware you’re being influenced by the writing you select. There are countless books I’ve read that are powerful and moving, the most would be The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. Truly a thought provoking novel and one I recommend.
The Fault In Our Stars is an extremely emotional love story told by a teen fighting cancer among friends who are also afflicted. It was no mere love story, but one that taught me about life. The main character Hazel has some near death experiences, goes through the loss of loved ones, and helps her friends through their cancer related issues. She falls for the perfect guy, Augustus, even though she was determined to stay away. Through Hazel, I learned that it’s ok to love or be loved, even if it will cause pain; because in the end, it’s worth it. Pain is an inevitable part of life, and there aren’t always happy endings. I also learned this from Green’s novel, as the love story ends in Augustus’ tragic, cancerous death.
I felt deeply connected to Hazel’s thoughts and feelings despite not being in her situation; that’s never happened to me before. One line in particular that stuck with me was “My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations” because I can relate. Hazel loved one book in particular, An Imperial Affliction, so much that she kept re-reading it. The ideas in the book were about cancer as well, and how death feels. She wasn’t afraid of death, as she knew it would be coming for her. I too know it is inevitable and am curious as to what it is really and how it feels.
I’m not an emotional book reader, but I can’t even begin to count how many times I burst into tears in reading The Fault In Our Stars. Not even a few teardrops, but uncontrollable sobbing. The novel took me to the highest point of love and to the tragedy of death in far too many chapters. Reality is a painful thing to deal with, especially with touchy subjects like cancer; and Green twisted those painful emotions into a masterpiece. Saying I loved this novel wouldn’t do the feeling justice. My eyes were opened to inevitability and I’ve re-read my tear-stained copy of The Fault In Our Stars countless times, and still not nearly enough.