My Favorite Book: "The Clique" by Lisi Harrison

Daja413
11/16/12
“The Clique” by Lisi Harrison has impacted me in numerous ways. While reading this book for the first time, I started to view friendships differently. I have learned a lot about my personality, as well as the personalities of others. “The Clique” is about popular, pre-teenage girls and their friendships with one another. Claire Lyons life changes when she moves from Florida to Westchester, New York. Her family is middle-class and she has a “dorky” personality. Claire’s characteristics started to remind me of myself. She was comfortable being herself and she did not care about what others thought. While in Westchester, she attended a private school and grew interested in a friendship with the popular girls. These girls were known as “The Clique.” This group was known throughout the school for having tons of money and living lavish lifestyles. The Clique’s leader was Massie Block. She immediately rejected Claire, due to her childish sense of style and lack of money. At this moment, I realized that bullying existed in many forms. It does not have to be physical to affect a person. Claire started to view herself as less than others. She began to act and dress different. Claire tried to fit in with the girls, so she started to get revenge on Massie by turning the girls against her. She lied to them and spread rumors about stuff that she overheard Massie saying. This taught me the meaning of a true friendship. Friends never leave each other the way that these girls left Massie. I also noticed that while Claire seemed to be the innocent girl in this situation, she had negative qualities that were brought to light after the bullying. Massie did not like the feeling of being left out and she experienced bullying for herself. She started to act nicer and became friends with Layne Abeley. Layne Abeley always interested me because she was confident and comfortable with having few friends. She does not desire popularity the way that most girls do. Layne stayed true to herself, regardless of the number of times she was called weird. As the book went on, the friendships started to change. Claire was briefly the leader of the Clique. In the end, everyone became friends. The Clique stopped judging people based on their appearances. They learned the meaning behind friendship. Every time that I read this book, I learn something different. I have learned that “being yourself” is the best thing that a person could do. True friendships do not have to end over rumors and should not be based on appearances. We are all “dorky” in our own ways. Most importantly, I learned that bullying hurts and it can change a person without it being physical. I would recommend “The Clique” by Lisi Harrison to anyone interested in learning about some of the important aspects of life.
-Daja Nasib